Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_trussville

Tuscaloosa nursery

john_trussville
17 years ago

A couple of days ago I had a conversation with a gentleman at my local Lowes store about local nurseries & he mentioned "The Plant Lady" in Tuscaloosa (actually Duncanville I believe). I've been to Bartons, Dunns & the one down south on Hwy 95 (name escapes me), but I hadn't heard of "TPL". He said she has a lot of unusual things & is his favorite nursery in the T-town area. Can anyone share their opinion & tell me how they would compare it to Bartons, which is by far my favorite source for palms & other tropical plants. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• maxmom96
    17 years ago

I haven't been to her this year as she's on the other side of town from me,(trying to conserve gas, and also vowed not to buy another thing for the yard this year) but I've always been impressed by the variety of her stock, although I'm not sure about tropicals. Can't remember just what I saw in that category before. (You know,Theresa, the gal who owns it used to share the little nursery that was diagonally across the street from Pinion's.

Have you been to been to Dunn's this year? They have been bought out, from what I hear, by the guy who owned Gardens on Main (Northport)a few years ago. The new place is impressive compared to the old Dunn's and has a large new greenhouse that has some interesting ferns, among other things. I do remember that I saw a couple of palms outside one of their buildings, also.

• southernorchidlover
    17 years ago

I agree with maxmom. Dunn's greenhouse capacity reminds me of Southern Homes and Gardens East in Montgomery. I have a feeling that it may also add a shop like Barton's. I look forward to its growth!

I was looking for TPL too and I could never get good directions. I hear good things about her selection.

• maxmom96
    17 years ago

Orchid lover.
    The directions to The Plant Lady are as follows: From McFarland and Skyland Blvd. go east on Skyland for about 2 1/2 to 3 miles. You will pass the Honda dealership, the post office, etc. on the right. At the intersection of Hargrove Rd.(traffic light here) turn right. (Co. rd. 37) Go about 3 miles. You will pass Woodland Forrest Elementary School on the left. There will be a Dollar store on the right. At this point there will be a gentle hill, at the crest of which is Bradley Rd. Take a right here. (there may be a small sign for The Plant Lady) She is just a few hundred yards on the left. I think you will enjoy visiting her.

• southernorchidlover
    17 years ago

Thanks maxmom! I'll add the trip to my agenda. Thanks for including the landmarks!

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks Maxmom....sounds like a trip to T-town is in order for me soon. I always try to visit Barton's at least once a year, and I guess I'll need to check out Dunn's again as well as the Plant Lady, of course. Anyone else from the B'ham area want to go?

• finz2left
    16 years ago

I live in Northport and am not a big fan of Barton's and Dunns. Nicley designed but few really interesting things -- and overpriced! But, I just went to the Plant Lady and I'm in looooove! She had amazing things I haven't seen elsewhere, including lots of tropicals, and she acutally has a degree in horticulture, as do many of her employees.

I was impressed when I got out of the car and feasted my eyes on tropicals, only to have a young lady ask me if my daughter could have a popsicle. It was super hot and we were appreciative. When that was done, they let her play in some colored rocks, and even offered her a juice bag. At Barton's and Dunn's, they act like kids might break something -- or harm their image, LOL.

I spent a long time there, asking questions and getting honest answers. They will be my go to place for everything from now on. I'd much rather spend my $$ there than anywhere else, especially the big boxes.

Thanks for the recommedation here. I hadn't heard of her until this board. Sad...and she's 8 miles away...but now I'm hooked.

• kabby_z8
    16 years ago

Okay people what KIND of tropicals??? I'm salivating down here!!

• sinai
    16 years ago

We went to The Plant Lady nursery today and enjoyed it very much.....We picked up a few things some pentas, euphorbias and cleomes etc. The prices were very reasonable and the plants looked good. The nursery itself has a nice layout but the nicest thing was the folks that worked there. They were all very helpful and knowlegable....... My wife and I had a great time and the lady's that worked there all had great senses of humor. All in all we had a nice couple of hours there. My first time there but not my last. By the way the "the Plant Lady" was not there but looking forward to meeting her on another visit. After lunch we went by Dunn's and it was like someone said earlier, a nice place that had recently been redone but mighty pricey for the plants.

Paul

• papagigi_snipes42_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I need water plants for my garden pond. I have been to several nurseries but have been told they do not carry water plants. Can you give me some info on sources in the Tuscaloosa area?

Thank you

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't live in T-town and its ben a few years since I've been to any of the nurseries down there. But up here in B'ham the Lowes stores usually all have a small selection of pond plants. It may still be a little early, but they should be getting them soon. I'd check with the Lowes store down there: (205) 759-4403

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida