Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some suggestions from you folks,

Posted by biscuit97 7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 11:40

if you don't mind. I need two shrubs to go on either side of a gate (in front of the wooden fence). They should be anywhere from 4 1/4-8 feet tall and about 3-4 feet wide and do well in full sun. I would prefer a flowering evergreen shrub. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some suggestions from you folks,

i wanted to recommend indian hawthorn (raphiolepis indica) but, the more i think about it, the less inclined i am to do so. they can be very pretty in flower but i have yet to see one that did not have leaf spot(much like red-tip photinias).
for something different and unusual, maybe texas ranger (leucophyllum frutescens). there is one growing in a large planter at a vet's office in my area and i like the grayish foliage (semi-evergreen). it naturally grows in arid regions but should do o.k. here in a well-drained site.
this might not be what you want if you are looking for something with a more formal appearance but they can be pruned or sheared to shape.
this link lists cultivars that i am not familiar with but may have better attributes for form and flowering than the species.

Here is a link that might be useful: texas ranger

o

I have seen some nice abelia shrubs I would try in full sun.

heres a link to see Abelia "Edward Goucher"

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A930

Here is a link that might be useful: abelia

o

A few more ideas:

We have some sasanquas in full sun, in a dry spot that got to be very large (15 ft.) that bloom faithfully every fall. there are smaller varieties and you can prune them to any size. I think that Yuletide falls within your size parameters and is nicely upright. Snowflurry is gorgeous and gets a wispy rounded shape.

August beauty gardenia would probably work as well but is a lot more fussy (the smell is worth it!). I have seen some English roseum rhododendrons out in the middle of fields nearby that are about the right size and are gorgeous in the spring. Soil prep for drainage would probably be critical.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are going plant shopping tomorrow. There's no telling what we will end up bringing home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here