Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

There's no rocks in the dirt

I've never encountered a rock, unless you include a few small lumps of coal, while digging at my house or my Mom's house. Does anybody find rocks around here (south-central?) I want more rocks! Where should I look?

Comments (21)

• sundog7
    12 years ago

Alas, I have no rocks either. It's nice when I'm digging a hole to plant a shrub, and it's very nice that my mower blades don't hit rocks when I mow. But sometimes I need some rocks to put in the bottom of a container or some large rocks to build a new flower bed, and I don't have any. I can go out in the yard with a shovel and dig down two or three feet and never hit a rock.

What's unusual is that I live on a level lot on top of a ridge in Pinson. You'd figure there would be more rocks than you could shake a stick at, but all I have is dirt, rich fertile dirt. :)

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

Trade ya'. Sometimes there's no dirt in my rocks.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, nicole! Would be nice to even things out a bit. Where in AL are you that you are so blessed with rocks?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

My soil is as hard as a rock. Does that count? We can't dig down more than a couple of inches!

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

I'm in Madison, almost at the base of Rainbow Mountain. My land also slopes. Well, at least I have good drainage, necessary since the entire neighborhood drains through my property. And what dirt there is is pretty decent "clayey silty loam" -- not that red clay that stains everything.

Fewer rocks, though... I can dream. I keep pulling them out of my garden but I think they breed at night.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

Down here on the coast we have to buy rocks or steal them from the railroad. Every now and then you will come across some sandstone depending on how far away from the gulf you get.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I should have been more specific when I wished for rocks. I did find a big one - a headstone that says "wilson." Not sure what to make of that except that, from the position the stone was in, I just hope Wilson isn't resting peacefully under my son's bedroom. Just in case, I left the stone where it was but turned it so the writing is facing the right way when looking at the new flower bed where it is now part of the edging.

jcalhoun, I don't really consider sandstone, or any of the sedimentaries to be real rocks, but would be real happy to find some! And I try not to get more than 78 miles from the gulf. That's how far my house is from the sand in Ft. Walton. :+)

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp,are you serious? You probably uncovered an old settlers grave site.Cool!
    Sundog - if you are referring to the Pinson north of B'ham then you are sitting on prime property! I think every other building in Pinson is constructed of local stone/ round rocks. The Rock House school.Love the architecture.

• sundog7
    12 years ago

Yep, the Pinson north of Birmingham. It's my second residence in Pinson. The previous one on Telia Drive was rock central - like living in a chert pit! I live in Heatherwood subdivision now and I wonder where the rocks went. Not complaining, though.

I've been working in Foley the last couple of weeks and I'm beginning to envy their long growing season. It doesn't help that the motel I'm in is right beside a huge nursery.

They have corn down here nearly as tall as I am. The veggie gardens are producing, and the flowers are fantastic. Right now they're in a bit of a drought, but the afternoon thunderstorm season should start shortly.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Hwy 59 has some nice nurseries and roadside places selling plants. Davis nursey, in Robertsdale I beleive, is one my favorites.The commercial nursery in Loxley is huge.

• sundog7
    12 years ago

Indeed it is. It's tempting to quit my job and go to work for the nursery in Loxley.

Today I thought I saw a rock in a ditch in Foley. When I got out of the truck to see it, it turned out to be an old piece of concrete. LOL!

• hesterix
    12 years ago

Here in W, Madison we have rocks glued together with sticky red clay. I envy you!

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

The commercial nursery in Loxley supplies a lot of the H-D and Lowes stores in the South.

• User
    12 years ago

Hehehehehe.
    I think this is such a humorous topic, because the first time I went to Massachusetts, my new husband did not understand why I exclaimed over ALL THOSE ROCKS and why I wanted to bring some back to Mobile. He could not dig anything without building a rock wall from the soil. But when he started tilling some of our garden in Mobile, he was amazed that he found only one smallish gravel the size of his thumbnail.

I personally save the styrofoam peanuts from shipping boxes, because they make the pots lighter and never decompose either.

Before we sell the house up north, I plan to load up some of those big rocks for transport south. Not the ones that the plumber could not move with his backhoe, but some we might roll onto the ramp of the moving truck, you know.
    Lovely rocks!!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

sundog's comment says it well. Today I thought I saw a rock in a ditch in Foley. When I got out of the truck to see it, ... Imagine - the sight of a rock being so unusual and interesting that one must stop to investigate. That's how I feel (and would be happy to find a chunk of concrete.) Hahaha!

moccasinlanding, I've had movers cart bricks & rocks around town when moving around up north. When I moved down here, there was snow on the ground when I left and it was so crazy, rocks were nowhere near my mind. You absolutely should bring down every rock you can. Enjoy!

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

If anyone is truly that hard up, I have numerous pieces of cinder blocks, old clay tile and bricks I'd love to see vanish. :)

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Sundog,
    We need to go into the rock business in L.A. ( lower Alabama ). :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I lived along the coast of SC for many years. Totally rockless. I used to 'make' my out-of-state relatives and friends bring a bucket of rocks and stones whenever they would come to visit. We needed ammunition against all of the four legged pests that cavorted in the yard all night long!

• User
    12 years ago

Ahhh, and for sure, I just remembered my days working in south Texas as a boat captain. I worked "straight time", and each time I walked from the boat to the dispatcher's trailer, I would pick up the biggest gravel (I mean ostrich egg sized) that I ran across. By the time I came home to Alabama, these rocks were ballast in the bottom of my car, so it held the road good for the 700 mile drive. I created a dry bed of those rocks/gravels from my outside faucet down the eaves to the slope toward the bayou. This was something I did not move with me when I sold MoccasinLanding in 2004. Until today, I'd never thought of them. I could use them here and now!

PurpleinOpp, I will be doing that very thing, since I anticipate a PODS will bring our "keepers" back home from MA. Rocks are definitely keepers.

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Hello all, I am so glad that I am not the only person that hits the brakes when they see a rock beside the road lol!
    it used to drive my husband crazy but now I holler theres one and he stops, but now he says only if it's the size of the steering wheel or bigger! Most of them here are all pretty flat but that is good they cover more ground that way :).
    Isnt that nursery in Loxley Flowerwood? I know they have one down there, I worked for the smaller branch here for several years. ronda

Original Author
    12 years ago

There's not a whole lot of good things that come from drought... except rocks. I've been driving past a pile of rocks once a week for a while and didn't notice until this drought killed all the vegetation covering them. Have brought home 2 loads so far. The biggest ones are about the size of a football but I still love them! There's even some with a flat side I'll use for steppers in my veggie patch. The location? Sorry, I can't remember right now...

Sponsored