Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olive trees

Posted by heathcates 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 11:55

Anyone have any advice on picking a good olive tree (or 2) to grow in Alabama? And where to get them, if locally, in Lee Co.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olive trees

I recently (in early April) planted a locally-grown Tea Olive that I bought from a nursery here in Huntsville and it seems to be doing real well. It lost a number of leaves the first few weeks but has put out a lot of new growth and seems to be taking off. We had a Tea Olive at our former home in S.C. that we really enjoyed (the fragrance was terrific all summer and it looked great and was easy to maintain.)

o

Are you talking about real, edible olives (Olea europaea) or tea olive (osmanthus fragrans)? As I recall the Vine and Olive colony in Demopolis, AL failed because the olive was not adapted to west Alabama soil. The soil in Marengo county and east along Hwy 80 has a layer of chalk under the soil. I believe Lee county is included in the chalk underlayment. See the link below to get the phone number of the Auburn Cooperative Extension Services. They should be able to answer all of your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auburn Cooperative Extension Agent

o

Tsmith, I'd find it very interesting to plant a real, edible olive tree or two if necessary for fruiting. In Mobile. I've already planted a satsuma and 2 kumquats, about 5 or 6 kiwi.

And I'd love to get the fruiting passion vine. It seems to be hard to find.

o

Moccasinlanding, you are out of the chalk layer in Mobile so you might be more successful and Mobile county has a much more Mediterranean type climate than does Montgomery or Demopolis. They had small Olea europaea (edible) for sale at the recent Bham Botanical Gardens sale. Myer's nursery has some pot of miniature olive in Pelham today. I am assuming the miniature plants make edible olives as well.

o

Thank you so much for that information. I will see what I can do to add olives to our garden here.

Did you ever take a look at my photo albums of the gardens surrounding the Villa Borgo Tre Querce in Italy? I was most impressed with the similarity of plants in their garden and those in Mobile. I'' give you the link below to my Webshots albums. Look for the album about Italy. What they do with star jasmine is outstanding!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moccasin's Webshots Albums

o

I am also interested in growing an olive tree of the edible variety here in Mobile. Is there a place that sells them in my neck of the woods? Also, do cherry trees of the edible variety grow in Mobile?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here