Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsmcw

Winter casualties

lsmcw
13 years ago

Got tired of waiting on the crinums to show some life so I dug around one this weekend. The bulb was mush - as was every other crinum in the yard except for the old-fashioned "Milk and Wine" crinums which have been there so long the bulbs are probably halfway to China by now. Also, lost all Brugmansias, Cannas and Alocasia/Colocasias that weren't potted and in the house. Even the bulbs I dug and stored dry in the shed are gone. So much for "extending your zone"! Linda

Comments (5)

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

I haven't gotten to poking around in all of my pots yet, but I know that I have lost all of my crinum except for milk and wine. I have several large pots of noid mixed cannas with no sign of life, a hardy hibiscus or two, and perhaps a hedychium or two. Wow- what a heartbreak! On the other hand, the daylilies and irises are looking wonderful, and my lady banks rose (from Jan), flowering almond, and yellow rose of texas put on a splendid show for the first time.

• donnadee54
    13 years ago

It looks like I too have lost all my cannas. Had them for many years and thought they'd be here forever. No sign of them now. Some of the elephant ears have survived. We took up the banana trees in the fall and rooted one brug inside. Really disappointed.

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

Well, I now have to add hardy amaryllis to my loss list- all of them are rotted out :-(

• donvon
    13 years ago

I lost the "mama" banana plant but several of her offspring are peeking through. I hope they can grow big and strong like she was. Most disappointing was the loss of our large pygmy date palm. Yes, we were pushing our luck on the zone, but we baby it throughout the winters with wraps and extra heat, but this year it just wasn't enough. I guess we'll replace it with a cold tolerant palm. Yes, very disapointing to lose favorite plants.

• User
    13 years ago

Here in Mobile, I lost a couple of my bananas totally. The others I'm seeing new growth coming out of the dead stalks.
    Glad I did not cut them to the ground as I'd thought of doing.
    The large colocasia/alocasia mostly mush, but a couple of little heart leaves are peeking out of the pine straw in a few places. The really old generic elephant ear which was here when I moved in, it is up tall already. I lost a short confederate rose, forget which one, because it had been planted late last fall. I lost all of my beloved abutilon (flowering maples).

I did not lose any canna lilies, especially the Phasion and Pretoria are doing great already. The purple jackmanii clematis is in full bloom and gorgeous this week, first time it's EVER bloomed. I had some heuchera in pots outside, just covered with some hay, and they were still green after the cold spells ended. My aloe vera clumps in huge pots, mostly mush, but a few pieces doing fine enough that a bloom stalk shot up this week on one of them. Of course the crotons are gone. But the asparagus fern...well, it and the holly fern, I cannot say enough about how durable those plants are!!! And also the aspedistra/cast iron plants. My white flowered bird of paradise (I have two) are stricken but surviving and beginning to grow. The two huge split leaf philodendrons are no longer huge on leaves, but I will have to cut their tubs away and let those roots seeking more soil have what they want. Both of those boys are doing great with mmuch new growth.

Most of my container plants are outdoors under the ligustrum TREES shading my New Orleans style bricked courtyard patio. I am pleased that things did not look half bad after we cleaned up the back yard and removed all that extra mulching. This winter was a valuable lesson. I really do need/want a greenhouse.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting