Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
climbing plants

Posted by sykomommie 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 12:43

Hi, I live in Mobile Al. I have a chain link fence around my yard with a PVC arch over the drive way. I would like to have it covered with some type of vine or flowering something to grow over and cover it. Any suggestions? Please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: climbing plants

So many possibilities... in your area the first possibility that would come to mind is a Passiflora, at least for the arch. You have a lot of semitropical plants to choose from - I am trying to remember from when I lived in New Orleans! Aristolochia has several species such as A, grandiflora and A. gigantea that would be truly spectacular but A. littoralis would be too small.

o

hyacinth bean vine maybe? I'm growing some of those for the first time this year

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 19:36

I'm in Saraland!

I covered a bunch of old iron work on my front porch with coral honeysuckle (not Jap.) and Carolina jessamine. It's native, evergreen and the hummers love it.

o

How about moonflower? It has large leaves and big white flowers, very pretty. I covered the old dish with that vine and you can't see that eyesore anymore. I bought the seeds online last year and just planted them in May!

o

I am not sure of the botanical name, but I saw a vine called tropical bleeding heart. It has dark green foliage, white and red hearts.

o

The mandevilla has been stunning this year in zone 7 so it should do well in zone 8 for you. Big foliage and big flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here