Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydranga question

Posted by glenda z7 alabama usa (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 13:15

I have large Hydrangas and all the new has put out from the bottom and has made it about halfway up, so I have all this green (at the bottom) and a whole bunch of sticks at the top. Always before they have put out all over so should I cut all these bare stems down to the green? They are about 10 year old plants and the big blue and pink blooms...when they bloom,LOL!
Would really appreciate any help with one of my favorites.
I made a picture to show one of the plants but I guess I can't add it to this message.
Thanks,
Glenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydranga question

You should have cut back the dead stuff, and cut out about twenty percent of all old wood, then fertilized in very early spring.
If the bare stems are really, really dead, cut them off. If there is any sign of life don't cut them as the plant will bloom on old wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here