Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asparagus bed

Posted by anaturelover z7AL (My Page) on
Tue, May 2, 06 at 14:10

I have an asparagus bed that I put in last year and picked from this year. I need to mulch it. It's a raised bed surrounded by lanscape timbers. Can I mulch it with bark? and can I put landscape fabric underneath the bark or does the asparagus plants spread too much? thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asparagus bed

Use 4 to 6 inches of mulch only.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing asparagus

o

can we grow Asparagus in Alabama? and when do we grow it?

o

Landscape fabric is a bad joke. If you think you need something under the mulch, use newspaper. It will not cause a nightmare in your future. Asparagus clumps do grow, leave them some room to get bigger. The newspaper may take a couple years to fully decompose and new shoots could have trouble breaking through it next year.

o

Does asparagus need full sun all day in zone 7b or could I plant it in a spot sheltered from afternoon sun from 3:00 p.m. on?

o

Sure you can grow asparagus in Alabama. Just watch out for the asparagus beetles, they can destroy a bed in no time at all. Pick them off or, if you don't mind pesticides, sprinkle with Seven Dust. You're supposed to plant in early spring but we had some crowns that we didn't get in the ground as early as we should have so we went ahead and planted them about a month ago. We'll see how they do, especially in this heat and drought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here