Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses for hot, humid south

Posted by TweetyPye z8/SC Al. (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 14:25

Can anyone help me find good roses that survive the hot, humid weather in south central Alabama? I love roses, but have had no luck in locating any that would resist black spot and other diseases common in our area. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses for hot, humid south

I emailed Jason at "Petals from the Past" and asked him what roses would do good in a rose bed I was planning. I live in West Cental Alabama, this is what he replied:

Hands down I would suggest planting the following for fragrance,cutting, and disease resistance.
Belinda's Dream
Golden Unicorn
Lafter
Clothilde Soupert
Monsieur Tillier
Mlle. Franziska Krueger
Europeana.
Space these 4' apart and centered in the bed and you will have a great show. Have a great weekend.
Jason

Here is a link that might be useful: Petals from the Past

o

I just went to Petals from the Past website - they have OBVIOUSLY done some great work on their site since the alst time I looked at it! WOW! :)

o

knock out rose, and butterfly rose,

o

Europeana and to boot it is one of my favorite roses.

o

Thanks to all of you with suggestions for roses that do well in our area. I am certainly taking all of them into consideration.

o

TweetyPye,

I second the recommendations for Lafter, Monsieur Tillier, Belinda's Dream, and the Butterfly rose. I have all these & love them, but please be forewarned: in this climate (7B -8) Lafter, Monsieur Tillier, & Butterfly Rose will get huge--unless you keep them severely pruned. They also grow very quickly.
P.S.--Lafter is just such a beautiful rose & smells heavenly

o

I bought a Knockout rose this year and it is true to its name! Absolutely no blackspot in spite of an unusually wet summer and always at least one bloom on it. Right now it's covered in blooms.

o

I usually hate modern day rose because of disease, they seem to be so picky. I got a cutting of what is supposed to be New Dawn from my sister. Not only is it a vigorous grower, covered with blooms in the spring but I haven't seen a single sign of leaf spot or other diseases. And it blooms all summer which is a big plus.

o

Darlow's Enigma: large 8' to 10' bush, simple small white blooms in large clusters, ALWAYS in bloom (April through October), extremely blackspot resistant, extremely fragrant, will bloom even in part shade

Here is a link that might be useful: Darlow's Enigma

o

Thanks John. I looked that one up. It's a beauty.
Jan

o

Great helpful post. Darlow's Enigma is now on my list, as well as New Dawn.

For anyone in the B'ham area wanting anything from "Pedals",I was told that you may call the farm and pickup at the Pepper Place down town. I will find out and come back with a follow up.

Does anyone have a rose that stands out as being trouble free that is not listed above?

This post was edited by bulzi on Fri, May 17, 13 at 23:59

o

"NO RESPONSE" from Petals of the Past concerning Pepper Place other than that they will be there Saturdays, starting May 25,2013. It maybe a Garden Web/businesses using the forum - reason for not responding . ???

This post was edited by bulzi on Wed, May 22, 13 at 19:13

o

Hello Jan, Are you back home? I live in Central Alabama, between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

I agree with Belinda's Dream for sure, but haven't yet planted any of the others he recommended.. the Old Garden Roses are wonderful for the fragrance as well as the beauty. I also like Louis Phillipe, a red china. It is a great bloom machine. Not huge roses, but it blooms all summer and smells great. (right front)

Flush View photo IMG_9579_zps5a1ba567.jpg

Iceberg is a wonderful white rose. It is a shrub that blooms from spring through summer and fall.

Reduced size Iceberg photo d2eaa658-a352-4742-b26a-7e84984040bb_zpseb9270db.jpg

William Shakespear 2000 is not quite 2 years old. I got it from Chamblee's as a one gallon plant. Tht pink behind is Belinda's Dream.

WS 2000 photo IMG_9567_zps9411c1a4.jpg

If you want a huge climber, I second the suggestion for New Dawn ...big thorns though, so be careful where you plant it (Not near a path) Doesn't get blackspot: This one is about 5 years old. Started as a band. My big baby:

photo 7631b476-3172-4227-a711-a0a4863a04e8_zps8cad31a8.jpg

Close up of blooms...and it is fragrant, as are all of these.

Reduced close Up photo e6b808aa-ba2f-477f-8ffe-eeb68787a185_zps65c7f4fa.jpg

William Shakespear 2000 is still patented, but the others aren't, so if you wanted to try rooting cuttings....

kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here