Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted Foxgloves and Ajuga for shade cround cover

Posted by cando_grower Al. (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 14:54

I live in NW Alabama, and I'm new to gardening. My yard is heavily shaded and needs a lot of help. I have hosta's, fern's, and lillys of the valley growing in the shade, and interested in adding some ground cover and foxgloves for diverisity. Can anyone reccomend an Alabama nursery or other shade loving plants that will work in my area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted Foxgloves and Ajuga for shade cround cover

I have seen foxglove at Lowe's recently. I've also sen ajuga there in the past.

o

hers a list of some plants that do well for me in shade. You could visit the Huntsville botanical garden to see more choices for shade.

Lamiums
Cast Iron plant
Bergenia
Hellabores (make a great groundcover if you have patience)
asiatic jasmine
Hardy begonia (Begonia grandis). I don't know why you don't see this one
often at nurseries.
Strawberry begonia
Heucheras

o

Yes Lowe's has some lovely foxgloves and healthy too. I actually saw foxgloves at Walmarts in Springville, Alabama the other day.

But it has been my experience that foxgloves do better in full sun and yet most say they are shade loving plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here