Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alagard

Agapanthus question

alagard
17 years ago

I bought one of these about 3 yrs. ago. It was pot bound badly - the roots were wrapped in a tight circle, large & thick and I was unable to separate them much at all. I planted it and it may have bloomed the following year - it was blooming when I bought it - but it hasn't bloomed since. It has multiplied a bit. It's planted in a bed that gets at least 6-7 hrs sun a day (morning) and there are other things planted there that bloom, such as purple cone flower. Apparently, since they are blooming all over town, mine isn't going to this year either. Should I dig it up and divide it or see what's going on now or wait? Any ideas what's wrong? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• tedevore
    17 years ago

I know when I have replanted my small agapanthus plants ("peter pan" var.?)
    they did not bloom the following year after replanting. I have kept my large agapanthus in a large container for several years, never replanting, and it blooms consistantly. I have heard that these plants actually do well in the potbound state. I do not think the large agapanthus africanas plants are totally hardy here in zone7b, and I put mine in the garage for much of the winter.
    I really enjoy the large round flower clusters that rise up on the long stems about five feet above the plant.

If it looks healthy I would just leave your plant alone, and I bet it will bloom again.

• ourhighlandhome
    17 years ago

My agapanthus 'africanus' has been in the ground for three years now, declines in size each year, and doesn't even come close to blooming.

I have two pots of 'Peter Pan' and one of 'orientalis' that are stored in the basement over winter, never go dormant, and each blooms heavily. The jury is still out on my pot of 'Elaine', which I've grown for just over a year.

Unless you have a favorable micro-climate, I am inclined to believe these are just not "bloom-hardy" in zone 7b unless allowed to remain evergreen.

On a related note, I'll be offering 'africanus' at this year's fall plant swap! ;-)

Nelson

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

This will be my 3rd season for Elaine. It hasn't bloomed since I bought it, though I did divide it immediately after purchase. Like tedevore said, I've heard the same thing about keeping them in a pot to encourage bloom -- they seem to like it for some reason. I'm considering digging mine, potting them then re-burying them in the bed.

So far 'Elaine' has been hardy outdoors for me with just some pine chips or straw for mulch over the winter. However we haven't had any terribly cold winters for her yet. On the bright side, I bought 'Peter Pan' & 'Lilliput' last year, divided them and planted them just as I did Elaine. I just saw a stalk/scape on one of the 'Peter Pan' divisions today so maybe it isn't as finicky.

Squirrellypete

• alex_z7
    17 years ago

That's been my experience with agapanthus, too. They resent being moved and prefer being potbound.

Elaine was so disappointing for me--I had three pots of it and all three died despite a mild winter a few years ago. Boohoo.

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

I thought it was just me. My agapanthus came from CA and I think I have it in too much shade but one never knows. I also have amaryllis belladonna that came from CA and it refuses to bloom too. Cranky CA plants!

• alagard
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone, glad to know it's not just me. I was looking yesterday and it has multiplied into 4-5 plants. I need to move some anyway so I guess I'll pot up a few and see what happens next year. I don't know the name of this one but I do love the blooms, or would if I had any, hee-hee.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

They thrive on abuse! Plant on a dry slope in full sun. Do not water after the first few days. They will bloom like crazy. They do well in Alabama. Susan.

• ourhighlandhome
    17 years ago

Susan,

Well, that is certainly good news! Maybe I've been "babying" my 'africanus' too much, like I'm prone to do everything else! I'll surely try neglect.

Thanks!

• alagard
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Susan - I'll try that. I have just the place. Putting them in the ground would be easier for me than in pots.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!