Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zelenkabach

When should I give up on a perennial's return ?

zelenkabach
10 years ago

How do you know for certain that a perennial is not going to return? By what date do you think most should be showing signs of life?

Comments (8)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

With this spring, it's hard to say; lots of things are late. We had a mild winter, but also a wet one which can kill, too. What's the plant you are concerned about?

• zelenkabach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I planted a bunch of new perennials last year, including some angel's trumpets that I had grown from cuttings of my own plants.
    Many of the new plantings from last year have been up and running for a month. My established angel's trumpets are well on there way, but the ones I planted last year have mixed results. A couple have returned but others...nothing. I had a Night blooming jasmine that I planted last year that isn't doing anything, although the old stump is still strongly attached. I am mourning the loss of a lion's tale (wild dagga) that hasn't done anything.

Such is life, but I was just curious as to what the conventional wisdom would advise, as these plants are new to me so I don't know their history.

I already accidentally dug up a viable plant from last year that just hadn't started to leaf out, so I am a little cautious.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• bulzi
    10 years ago

Just noticed that the plumbago is up a couple of inches. Lantana is taking its time, with warm weather it should pop on up. I hope.

What ever does not come back will lend its place to something new.

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with those plants and when they should pop up, lynnsdaughter, but my stevia and lantana haven't come up yet and I have every reason to think they should come back.

With the nice rain and a solid week of warm weather ahead of us, I may give up if they don't pop up by the end of the week or two.

• drippy
    10 years ago

Stevia comes back here? Cool! I got some at the Huntsville Botanical Garden sale, and was prepared to cut & dry it all at the end of the season, thinking it was an annual. I'll leave some for next year! :)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

It comes back if we have a zone 8 winter. It will also reseed itself although germination rates are really poor so it's a little dicey and it's unlikely to take over.

• bulzi
    10 years ago

OMG, Just Googled " When should I give up on a perennial's return". It refers back to here.....patience is a perennial's virtue.

It seems to take for ever for the Hidden Lily to emerge.....and when it does---- I wonder--- why have that...?....,but always glad to see it.

• drippy
    10 years ago

I have a salt marsh hibiscus I grew from seed that has been struggling along for a couple of years. It looked truly dead until today, when I saw just a little green coming back from the base. I wait a loooong time before I give up on perennials.

Thanks for the tip on the stevia, Nicole.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions