Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swjonthebay

Can anyone help me w/figs and blueberries?

swjonthebay
16 years ago

Hello all! I'm hoping someone here has had experience w/ these two fruit trees and can help me figure what to do. I have two blueberries plants, Climax and Tifton Blue, and two fig trees, Brown Turkey and Green Ischia. I am somewhat limited in 'full sun' spaces in which to plant. I have read that for blueberries to do their best they need full sun. I'm wondering if anyone has planted them where they receive partial shade (for part of the day) and how well did they produce for you? Are the figs better suited to get part shade? I have been reserving the full sun part of the yard for citrus...Owari satsuma, Meyer lemon and a citrus-lime tree. Am I wrong in doing that? If so, I can rearrange things and plant the blueberries there.

Also is there anything in particular that I should know about planting/soil preparation? I intend to mulch around them to make it easier to mow around...any suggestions on the best mulch material (pine straw is in plentiful supply...hence the scarcity of 'full sun' places to plant)

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions