Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donvon_gw

Please help with ideas

donvon
13 years ago

Please help! We are in a dilemna and thought we would ask for opinions on the Alabama forum so we can get some ideas applicable to our area.

We are trying to figure out what to put in the center of our driveway circle. I may have planted some plants that were not the best choice, but I am too lazy to dig and replant so I want to work with what we have. We have phlox around the outside, black eyed susan's one row in and soft touch hollies close to the center that I plan to keep around 2' high and round.

Originally we had a pygmy date palm in the middle that we babied over the past few winters, but this past long, cold winter just got the best of her.

We want to have a tropical vibe to the yard (we have banana plants, elephant ears, yucca, liriope, and a lot of crepe myrtles around the driveway to give you an idea of what is around the yard)

My husband wants a fountain and I want another palm, but a cold hardy palm that would look nice. Any suggestions on a palm or even another plant that might look nice?

I don't know how to post multiple photos so a link to a close up is just below.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=4536674014/PictureID=201271182014/a=126167284_126167284/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Here is a link that might be useful: driveway circle

Comments (6)

• madabouteu
    13 years ago

Where in zone 8 are you? It's one thing to try a palm in, say, Tuscaloosa, and another to try it a bit north of Mobile!

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Donvon, I'm not too shocked that your pygmy date palm didn't make it thru last winter, since they're truly a zone 9 palm. But the fact that you had it for the past few winters must mean that you're well below Montgomery, that is unless you babied it with a lot of supplemental heat in the winter. No need to give up on palms though, as there are several that are winter hardy, even up here in zone 7 Birmingham. But for your driveway circle I'd recommend either a pindo (butia capitata) or a multi-trunked windmill (trachycarpus fortunei). The pindo is a zone 8 palm & you really shouldn't need to offer it any winter protection unless overnight temps are forecasted for 15F or below. On about four or five of our coldest nights last winter I staked a five dollar heat lamp about 2 feet from the trunk on my pindo and aimed it up toward the palm crown (where the new fronds emerge)and it breezed thru the winter totally unscathed. The windmill is a zone 7 palm & you shouldn't have to offer it any protection at all. Mine had no protection last winter and all survived with no damage. The multi-trunked ones already potted up are a little harder to find than the common single trunk, but more & more nurseries are stocking them now. Of course you could always buy two or three single ones of varying height & plant them together, if room allows in your planting bed. A multi-trunked sabal palmetto grouping should also be hardy for you, but I'm not sure your circle bed would accommodate one, as their trunks are much more massive.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

the Pindo
    {{gwi:363848}}

the multi-trunked windmill

{{gwi:363849}}

• donvon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, we live in Helena, about 20 minutes south of Birmingham. I really like the multi trunk windmill, but don't they grow 12" a year? Are there any palms that would work in our zone that won't get more than 6-8' tall? We don't mind winterizing for protection. My husband keeps saying "fountain, fountain" and I'm thinking that might be the path of least resistance...

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Helena? well heck, we're practically neighbors. I first registered on Gardenweb several years ago when I lived in Trussville. For the past two years though I've been in Alabaster but I've never taken the time to change my user name on this board. So anyway, I'm probably just south of you a bit. And I'm amazed that you were able to keep a pygmy date alive for a few years up here. How did you do it?

I'd say three to five inches of new trunk per year is more realistic for a windmill, on average. Yes, they will get tall but it will take a few years. The pindo will also develop a trunk, but it's much, much slower than a windmill. You may want to consider a needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix). They're considered the most cold hardy of any palm, and EXTREMELY slow to develop a trunk so you wouldn't have to worry about it getting too tall for many, many years.....if ever. It's more of a bush form, rather than trunking.
    Have you been to Hannah's Nursery over on HWY 280? They have a great selection of cold hardy palms, and last year they had a few large needles (see pic) and I believe they were only about $300, which is a very good price for a needle palm that size. Haven't seen any like it around this year, but they might be able to get you one, if you like it.

needle palm at Hannah's last year
    {{gwi:363850}}

• donvon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi John! Yes, we went to Hannah's this past Saturday - that's where we saw some really nice windmill palms for $189, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Hannah's has such a great selection of plants and is very organized.

Today my husband picked up a fountain and I've decided to "let him" :) install it. One less decision I have to make!

We kept the pygmy alive with A LOT of TLC. For winters, I wrapped each trunk with burlap, a comforter, and Christmas lights. We then had about 12" of mulch out to where the tips of the fronds reaches (we cut the fronds back for winter). We then covered the whole thing (about 10' diameter) in heavy duty plastic and put a couple heat lamps under the plastic for the really cold nigths. With the mild winters we've had, this worked, but this winter whipped her. We also lost my beloved banana plants this winter - BUMMER!

• madabouteu
    13 years ago

My info is that Trachycarpus stands a decent chance of making it in your area - but no promises!

By the way - I am growing a perennial that really has a tropical aspect. It goes by two names, Telekia speciosa or Buphthalmum speciosum. I got the seed from Jl. Hudson but that place no longer carries the seed. Forestfarm does carry the plants, at $8 per plant. They have enormous leaves, like elephant ears but serrated and parallel to the groud. Flowers are like a cross between sunflowers and coneflowers.

Sponsored