Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost Facility off 280 cahaba heights

Posted by JOEL_alabama 8a (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 05 at 17:02

I had such a hard time finding information about this that I thought I would post it. You can get a truckload of compost loaded for $20. Nice looking stuff !!!

From BHM, 280 to Summit Pky, left. Right at Green Valley Road. 1/4 mile, curve, Left on White Oak Dr. Right at East St. (NOT east lane). THere are some sketchy turns but the road eventually deadends at the landfill (follow the dumptrucks). Go into the fenced parking lot of the building on the left (the one with a big sign that says you can't park there), to the far office on the left, and inside you will find a cashier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost Facility off 280 cahaba heights

Wow! Wish we had one of those down here around Montgomery!

o

Hi Joel, Thanks for posting that about the compost facility! I've been looking for some, and I's about to get desperate. How do you like the quality of compost? Is it good stuff? Nice mix? Well aged? How 'bout the texture? Not to chunky is it?

I sound like a dirt junkie, don't I? "I need some of the dark stuff, man. And I need it baaad", she says with shaky hands, looking around nervously. "My soil needs help man, I gotta make my plants feel better ..... they're getting, you know, sick."

Boy, I guess I spent a little too long in the sun this morning.

o

Too funny, CreoleKitten, I was thinking along those same lines, lol. Joel, thanks for sharing the info.

Now if I could only figure out how to get a pick-up truck.....It's a shame my old car doesn't have a "sunroof" that could be welded back on. No, I wouldn't do that, really I wouldn't. ::hehe:: It could be a homemade convertible. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. :P

o

Yes, CreoleKitten, I think this stuff will do it for you. It is veery black, a little texture but not too much, mostly composted leaves and twigs with few bits of garbage to make it interesting.

o

That is the City of Mountain Brook's leaf compost facility and it is good stuff. There is a guy who works there who will also deliver by the truckload....

o

AdrianaG, do you know the name of the connection, ummm, i mean the guy, lol.

o

Compost facility in Alabama!!!! Give me the smelling salts, I don't believe it!
My local nursery looked at me as if I was nuts the other day when I mentioned the words organic gardening to them.
Thanks for the post and do you happen to have a phone number so I can get info before I drive all the way up there?

o

does anybody know if this facility stills sells compost? Just wondering!

Todd

o

The Calhoun County Landfill has been providing free compost for years and they also load it for you.

;-)

o

Does anyone know the name of the place off of 280? Is it still there?

o

It's owned by the City of Mountain Brook: 802-2400

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here