Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflowers as window sun block?

Posted by daffodillady 7b/8a central AL (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 17:07

I have two mobile home windows located inside my dog fence that recieve full afternoon sun. I read recently on another forum about planting sunflowers as a temporary non-toxic sun block for windows. If I was to plant some seeds in the ground this week, would they grow fast enough to help shade the windows? I am not overly concerned about flowering. How many seeds per window, how far away from the window, any other pro/con thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflowers as window sun block?

I'd think you'd be MUCH happier with some inexpensive bamboo shades or other window treatments. It will take some time for sunflowers to grow tall enough to shade windows.

o

I second rhizo's suggestion. A roll-up shade hung from the eaves is quite a bit more reliable.

Another option, perhaps for next year, is a trellis with a climbing squash or gourd.

o

Thanks ya'll. This is a rental unit and therefore I can not attatch anything new to the structure. I already have blinds and drapes inside. Well, the sunflowers were an interesting and inexpensive thought- perhaps if I could have planted them early on (-:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here