Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loraxdave

New Pike's Nursery in Birmingham

LoraxDave
18 years ago

Has anyone else been to the new Pike's? I went out there on Saturday morning. The place definitely is huge, larger than the ones I have been to in Atlanta. I was also happy to see that they used hardy palms in the landscaping in front of the store!

Everything is well-organized and cared for, and they have tons of plants to choose from. Overall, I don't find their plant selection to be much more diverse than Home Depot or Lowe's, although the plants are certainly better taken care of. Also the prices are higher. It's nice to have a Pike's in town, but I don't make it down 280 very often... and when I do, I'll be more likely to browse for interesting things at Hannah's. As far as finding rare/unusual trees and shrubs, I think Plant Odyssey and Hannah's are the two best places in town. And for unusual perennials, Plant Odyssey, Meyer's Pottery, and Andy's Creekside Nursery.

Comments (22)

• pfllh
    18 years ago

So, Dave, is this place not what was expected to where a special drive there is not a good idea? I don't know where the other places are.
    We went to the plant swap and there were some VERY nice plants there. We wanted to go to some of the nurseries but it was too late. We do plan on making a trip to the nurseries. Do they have more than Southern Homes and Gardens?
    Thanks
    Lynn

• Padinka
    18 years ago

Plant Oddessy is southside of birmingham, Meyers is in pelham, hanna's is on 280, Andy's Creekside Nursery is in Vestavia Hills.

• john_trussville
    18 years ago

I agree Dave....I was a little underwhelmed myself. I was there just briefly during my lunch break on Friday, and went back again Sunday afternoon when I had more time to really look around. Its a great facility, everything was well organized and I didn't see anything that wasn't identified & priced. But I was not at all impressed with their plant offerings. Let me put it this way, I can rarely go to Hannah's, Andy's, or Meyer's without being tempted to spend some bucks (and I usually do), but I can honestly say I didn't see anything at Pike's that peaked my interest. They put that place together pretty quick, so maybe things will get more interesting as time goes by.

• LoraxDave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They did have a lot of different types of Hydrangeas for those who are hooked on Hydrangea collecting. I like hunting for unusual plants that I can normally only find by mail order, though, and Plant Odyssey and Hannah's are the best places to do that.

John, I have been avoiding some of my favorite nurseries this Spring due to budget constraints and lack of will power. LOL!

Another favorite is Oak Street Garden Shop in Mountain Brook. I always get in trouble there, and they are fairly expensive as well.

Lynn, I don't think Pike's has more than Southern Home and Gardens, and Southern has more interesting plants, in my opinion. If you want to go nursery hopping in Birmingham and have limited time, I suggest Plant Odyssey Nursery on 4th Avenue South and their other location, two blocks South on 6th Avenue South, which specializes in perennials, herbs, annuals, and indoor plants. Both places are a plant nuts' paradise. Andy's Creekside Nursery has a good selection of perennials for every taste (tropical or more traditional, shade, etc.) In my opinion, Andy's selection of shrubs and trees is far less interesting than their perennials - also, their shrub/tree prices are fairly high. Actually, their inventory of shrubs and trees is similar to Pike's. Lots of stuff, but a lot of it is available at HD or Lowe's if you shop around and at much better prices.

• pfllh
    18 years ago

Thanks, Dave. I get most of my plants, shrubs and trees at Southern homes but also can't stay away from Petals of the Past.
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

What do ya'll think of, or do you know of, The Garden Shop of Homewood? I haven't been up there yet - but I know the owner, and keep planning to go.

Lynn - I too LOVE to go to Southern Homes! I like the growing center for Montgomery Garden Center - growing center is up here on HIghway 9 near me - but i have to have time to browse - although my husband tries to keep me away! And of course, I get some great stuff at Santuck!

I haven't checked out Petals from the Past - but plan to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Shop of Homewood

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

Hmmm...I really enjoyed my visit, and look forward to returning soon. I found it a bit overwhelming and need a few more visits to really aquaint myself with the layout.

Overall I thought they offered a broad selection of quality-grown plants at a fair price, especially considering their location. Their selection of Japanese maples was impressive during the time I spent there, and they even managed to pry enough money from my hands for a handsome 4-ft.-tall dissectum 'Viridis', which was a steal, especially considering what other area nurseries are asking for something comparable.

Their opening won't spell the end of any of our older, established nurseries, but I predict that, in short time, they'll quietly join their ranks and affect the B'ham garden community in a good and positive way.

On Cloud Nine....

Nelson ;-)

• LoraxDave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nelson, I didn't too closely at the Japanese Maples. I went through a JM obsession phase last year, and the hole burned in my wallet has never been repaired! I try to stay away from them as much as possible. LOL.

I usually go through a Hosta-mania period at this time of the year as well, but have managed to keep it under control. Pike's did appear to have some nice Hostas, but I averted my gaze as much as possible.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

Where is Southern Home and Garden located?
    Susan

• JuliannaMKH
    18 years ago

Southern Homes and Gardens is my Mecca. I've only been to Petals from the Past once and I was very impressed. I'm actually hoping to make it back up there this weekend.

So, from what you guys are saying if I did make it to B'ham looking for plants I'd do better finding unusual stuff at locally owned nurseries.

• pfllh
    18 years ago

Southern Homes is a large nursery just south of Wetumpka. You would take I65 south and get off at the first exit for Montgomery - Northern Bypass, on your right. When you get on the bypass, it curves around and only goes one way where you wouldn't have to worry about a quick turn. Now I'm not good about distance Susan. I just go where I need to. Once on the bypass, keep in the right lane. If I remember right, you will go through 2 lights. After the 2nd light, it will be the next exit for 231/Wetumpka on your right. You will go to the left at the end of the exit ramp. Stay in the left lane and you go for a couple miles and Southern Homes and Gardens is on the left. If you only want to look at plants and be able to load them easily, drive in front of the builing to the side where the drive goes to the back parking lot. TAADAA you are there.
    In the front of the building is houe items as to dishes, decorative items, silk flowers, patio furniture and such. In the back are the statuary, fountains, pots, tropicals,orchids, annuals and perrenials. The outside nursery has your iris, lilies, roses, some perrenials, shrubs and trees. Oh, Christine, the seeds are inside! I'm sorry I will quit picking on you.
    Hope this helps.
    Lynn

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Southern Homes & Gardens is opening at a new location very soon, and promises to be as big or bigger than the old location, but will be in addition to the old location, not a replacement, and it will be closer to East Montgomery than Wetumpka.

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

Wow, they put that store up quickly! Thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to check it out.

LoraxDave, the "averting the eyes" method---too funny, lol. I've been practicing the "complete avoidance" method, for the most part. It helps to not have had much time to go plant-gawking. :)

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

I went last Friday afternoon. I was impressed with the orderliness, with the Jap. maple selection but little else. I only went through the area right out the back door. They do have the red, dwarf banana for $49 that was amost $200 last year at Hanna's Garden Shop. I was eager for Pike's to open, but I did find most of their plants expensive compared to Myer's or Odyssey. The plants are definitely well cared for or were for their first weekend. They actually had folks watering while I was there. The only problems Myer's, Odyssey, Creekside, Hanna's and other local nurseries have to worry about is sheer size and the fact that (in my opinion) many folks in affluent North Shelby county would rather spend their money at a place nearby and convenient rather than make a short drive to save a few bucks.

• ken_waites
    18 years ago

I went to Pike's on Sunday and the place was so crowded I had to circle three times to get a parking place. People were carrying the stuff out by the cartloads. I thought their prices were lower in general than Hanna's and about the same as Myers'. I also thought their plants looked better overall than what one sees at HD and Lowes, though the same plants will be cheaper at those stores. I did however get a good buy on some rosebushes - all were 25% off and they were several dollars cheaper than the same plants at the other places around town. Pike's has the best selection of landscape materials, rocks, etc. in town but their prices are quite high for these materials and I can find them much cheaper elsewhere. I will definitely go back on a regular basis.

Ken Waites

• janet__t
    18 years ago

LoraxDave said that overall the plants looked like they were better taken care of than HomeDepot or Lowes.....As someone who works in the garden dept. for one of the local Home Depot's, I can affirm that the only reason their plants look so 'well taken care of' right now is because they are all NEW, and have just been shipped in.

Now if they still all look like that 6 months from now, that will be a testament.

Matter of fact, I am going to make a post on how these 'retail' nursery centers run things. Hopefully Pikes will see where others have messed up and do a better job.

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

Hi Janet, I too used to work at a HD garden dept and am curious to see how Pike's is set up. One of my peeves about HD set-ups is when they have shade plants frying in full Alabama sun. (And they were like that when I worked there, too, so I know it's not the associates' fault.)

One thing I would be curious about....would be to ask a driver making a Pike's delivery where their next stop is. When I worked at HD, the route usually had a nearby Lowe's being the next delivery, then another HD, lol. Same exact product, same vendor.

I'm going to have to stop reading posts about Plant Odyssey, it is too conveniently located to me. I don't need to start going there at lunch, just to "check things out"!!! My saving grace this spring has been lack of time to drive to any of the places I would like to go.

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

I was at Pike's today and they had some very nice hostas, with good prices. They did have a good selection of Japanese maples, too. Very reasonable prices on them.

They had a huge selection of pitcher plants--I have never seen that many different kinds of them in one place. (Haven't been to Plant Odyssey, though, so maybe they have had a lot of them before.) Forgot to look at their prices, I was so awed with the sheer quantity of them.

I didn't have a lot of time to spend browsing so I probably missed some plants. LoraxDave, if you have ever had a weakness for JMs and have room for another, don't go back to the JM area! lol If I wasn't planning a major rearranging and was uncertain of where I would put a JM, I would have gladly bought one. They were gorgeous!

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Visited today and very underwhelmed. The box store of plants. Just call it plant-mart. I was disgusted with their rose selection, taking patented roses and giving them generic names and no one will know what they have. What a cheap trick.

• LoraxDave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

janet, I have been to Pike's Nurseries in Atlanta many times, and in general the plants remain better cared for than the average HD or Lowe's. For one thing, they are generally sheltered better. And as Alex mentions, they do seem to keep plants better situated on the nursery grounds so that their sunlight exposure is appropriate.

I find a lot of variation between individual HD's and Lowe's, though. The HD down in Helena usually has a great inventory of plants, including lots of bargains on native trees and shrubs.

• Mimi_Carol
    18 years ago

We, too, went to Pike's on Saturday. We arrived late in the afternoon, so it was not real crowded. They have most of the same plants as HD/Lowe's just a little higher priced although they do look better. I did find a couple of plants that I hadn't seen other places: very pretty St. John's Wort and some sweet flag. We found the Yoshino Cherries but they were way out of my price range - $249! LARGE trees but this was the only size they had. I would have paid $125 but $249 seemed a little pricey - at least for my wallet. Hubby bought some Encore azaleas that looked really healthy for about $8 each.
    We left content with our purchases then went straight to Lowe's for a few other "hardware" type items and found trees for 25% off. All trees were on sale except for a few varieties. I succumbed and bought two of the Forest Pansy Redbuds. I hope they do well in our area. Also bought a red flowering crabapple.
    Still looking for Yoshinos if anybody knows where there are some. Plant Odyssey had one but it was not r-e-a-l healthy looking....
    Overall, a really fun weekend!
    Mimi

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Southern Homes & Gardens in Montgomery, near Wetumpka, sells hundreds each year. If you have not been there for plants, you really should It is probably the best landscaping source anywhere in this part of the Southeast.

Sponsored