Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help

Posted by rabbit8 z8a AL (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 17:45

I have two large flower pots. I need some advice on what type of plants to purchase that would accent my clay pots. I can use some help. I would love to have the kind that comes back each year.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help

How about rosemary. It is evergreen, does well in a pot and can be pruned to whatever shape you like. Then each spring you could plant red or purple verbena or red or purple petunias to trail down the side.

o

You can borrow a book on container gardening at your local library. Or visit the container gardening web site here at GW.
I like the look of various plants in a container. Something tall & slim in the back, something full with interesting foliage in the center, something cascading in the front. I found this today, it is a picture of a grouping of containers, along the lines of what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2006 Container Pics

o

How much sun will your pots receive? Will they be in the sun all day long or do you have a lot of trees around, so they will get a good bit of shade?

o

I have two pots on each side of my walkway. They will get sun most of the day because they are facing the east and there are no trees to shade them. I kind of wanted something that would come back year after year. I like the purple or lavender colors.

o

I agree with the suggestion about Rosemary, also maybe Purple Heart Vine, aka Wandering Jew, which does wonderful in pots in the hot sun. I don't know how good it would look in pots, but 'Butterfly Blue' Scabiosa has flowers that are a really pretty lavender color and it blooms almost all year long (mine only stopped blooming for about 4-6 wks in Jan.-Feb.) and the foliage is evergreen.

The difficulty with perennials (that come back every year) is that they tend to have short blooming periods vs. annuals (that are only used for a season). So where most perennials will only bloom for a few weeks (some longer, some shorter), annuals give that pop of color for a few months straight...which is why they are often used in pots and planters and changed in spring/fall.

I'd suggest that when you go shopping for the plants, I would grab a pot that kinda looks like yours and then place the little pots of the plants that you're looking at inside to kinda get an idea of what it would look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Heart Vine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here