Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ticks and lyme disease

Posted by boomer2 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 18:21

It seems everytime I go hiking with my family, we find a tick or two on us. How bad is lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever in Alabama.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ticks and lyme disease

Since 2001 there have been around 50 reported cases of Lymes disease in Alabama. Compare that to 16,000 cases in Connecticut during the same period.

o

I have read that an infected tick must bite you and stay on for 24 hours before passing on the infection. If you check each time you go into the woods or work in the yard and get them off you should be OK. When I was growing up, the camp counselors would sprinkle a little sulfur in our socks to keep the ticks off. It seemed to work but it wrecked the socks.

o

Tick Alert!!! Found my first tick in 2 years today crawling up my arm. It must have been a weed tick.... cause that's about all I have is weeds.

I flushed it. Yep,3 gallons of water for one small weed tick. What a waste.

Maybe it was a Rain Tick.....?.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here