Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Petasites hybridus?

Posted by john_trussville z7b AL (My Page) on
Wed, May 17, 06 at 18:24

Just discovered this plant recently. I like about anything that is big and tropical in appearance and was thinking about trying it in the woods adjacent to my yard. From what I've read its supposed to spread pretty fast. Was just wondering how invasive it can be & if I'll be sorry in a year or two. Anyone have experience with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Petasites hybridus?

Well, I am growing both Petasites japonicus 'Variegatus' and P. japonicus. They are behaving but I am aware that they could spread rapidly. I, too, like the large leaf tropical appearance; however, mine are still quite small.
You may want to try them in the woods.........

o

terramadre, thanks for the pics. You've convinced me that 'Variegatus' is the one I've got to have. A couple more questions: Do you have yours planted in a wet area? If not, do you have to water it to prevent wilting when we have a hot, dry period? My property is all pretty high on a mountain ridge and I have plenty of shady areas, but its all very well drained. And if you don't mind me asking, did you acquire yours locally or buy online? I've found it available from Brian's Botanicals so I may order it from him if I find its not available in the B'ham area.

thanks again,
john

o

Whiteflower Farm's on-line catalogue says it's called "pestasites" because of its tendency to become invasive. You might want to read their review at http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/35780-product.html. Forestfarm.com says it's "edible (& potentially invasive)" Their pictures are intriguing, though. Do you suppose you could keep it contained and moist by planting it in a large pot sunk in the ground and filled with good soil and perlite or vermiculite or some such?

o

John,
The plants were passalongs from our local plantaholic ;-)
They are growing in heavy clay and in the shade. There are no wet or even constantly moist areas on the property. I only water when we have drought conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here