Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials for a cemetary

Posted by neta1978 OH (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 18:57

Hi,
Does anyone know what perennials grow well in Goodwater, AL (near Birmingham)? I live in OH, but my parents are buried in AL and I would like to plant some flowers by their headstones this summer. I am looking for something with low maintenance since I am in OH, but will come back for few years without really being tended to. Any ideas....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials for a cemetary

As you amy already know, Goodwater is about 60 miles out of Birmingham. It is south and east. This is not a good year to do this unless ther is someone who can water the plants all summer. We are in the midst of a severe drought. If you can plant shrubs, I would suggest gardenias. If you are looking for bushy perennials which will die back each winter, I suggest a winter hardy lantana or a turk's turban malvaviscus. Finally, if you are just looking for flowers, why not echenacia or rudbeckia.

o

If you want something that will come back for years and years and need little care, I recommend daylilies. I agree though that this is not the year to do it. We're having a tough time with drought all through the Southeast.

o

I'm thinking bulbs also. Asiatic lilies, red spider lilies for the fall and for the ultimate drought tolerant plant, crinum!

o

Daffodils might also be a consideration. You could get the very early blooming ones, some mid-season, and late bloomers. Some of the sedums are also very tough. I have some which I don't know the name of, and I don't think you could kill it if you wanted to.

o

Thanks guys for your help. I am going looking in a few weeks for some of your suggestions so we will see. Will definitely plant something when I come down since I'm too far away. Hopefully it lasts until I make it back down again. Once again....thanks

o

if anyone thinks of something to plant IN the urn that will not need tending to, let me know - only thing i can think of at this point would be a cactus of some sort.....my mother LOVED to garden, and would much rather have something LIVING in the urns i had put on her headstone than the fake flowers i put up there each season. The church won't let me plant anything there....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here