Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Online Gardening Resources

Posted by heathcates 7 AL (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 19:28

I am tech savvy but it has almost been to my disadvantage when looking for online gardening websites/forums/etc. It seems there are so many and I need some help narrowing them down to the useful ones. If they have an AL/Southern bent all the better but any resource in general that you have found helpful would be great. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Online Gardening Resources

Some of the most useful information will be located at the .edu sites. Some are ever so much better than others, but still better than most .com sites.

Finding and using websites for specific information can be challenging. The success of the search sometimes depends upon how much you know in the first place! If you are very much a beginner, it makes it difficult to hone in on the precise information you are looking for. It gets easier as you gain knowledge.

Though not from Alabama, I've always thought that Clemson University's HGIC (Home and Garden Information Center) fact sheets are terrific. I recommend the site highly.

Alabama Cooperative Extension Service (ACES) also has a web site with links to many different fact sheets, as well. Look for informational websites from all of the southern research universities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

Univ. of Georgia has a great deal of info, particularly with their greenhouse booklet. Try the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA

o

Walter Reeves (who writes for Atlanta newspaper, has radio show and has been Georgia cooperative extension agent, etc.) has a good web site and archived TV shows and articles about gardening in Georgia. I find his info. relevant to us in Alabama.

o

Well, I was going to tell you about a website that I enjoy a lot, but when I clicked on the "preview message" link I was informed that gardenweb has been spammed by postings promoting the site and it is now blocked. I can't mention it here, but if you google names of particular plants you are sure to come up with a link to a PlantFile at this site. There is lots of good information there and it's a shame that their copybook has been blotted by spamming.

o

floridata.com is my favorite
dell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here