Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

new nursery in town

tsmith2579
13 years ago

Well, at least it is new to me. Andy's Market and Nursery on AL Hwy 150, next to Hunter Street Baptist Church. I'm going to tell you, they will do a great business because their prices are very reasonable. Too many nurseries try to make a year's prfit by charging high pricess. They had the red leaf banana for $50. It is over $100 at Hanna's on Hwy 280. Andy's also had a nice sized (2 feet diameter) hydrangea Fuji Waterfall for $25. This Fuji Waterfall was the first one I've seen with a pinkish color to it and I really liked it. I've resisted Fuji Waterfall because all the ones I;ve seen are white.

Also, it isn't new but there is a little known nursery is Emerald Gardens Landscaping. Take I-20/59 toward Tuscaloosa. Take Exit 104 and go over the interstate toward the Flying J truck stop. Go over the hill and the nursery is on the left. - Terry

Comments (7)

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Terry, we were at the Hoover Andy's yesterday but we couldn't find any $50 red bananas. They had Ensete maurelii 'Red Abyssinian' & Musa 'siam ruby', but they were all under $30. Did they have bigger ones earlier in the week perhaps, or did I miss something else?

Have you been to Myers & seen the $167.99 Alocasia 'borneo giant'? Better hurry before they sell out, LOL. In april I bought the same plant online for $12.00, & in another month mine will be just as big as the ones at Myers. For $150+ I can have a little patience.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, John. Andy's had a 5 ft Red Abyssinian up near the store, about 10 ft inside the fence for $49.99. We were there Saturday morning. We were at Myer's on May 15. I didn't see the Borneo Giant. Like you, I can buy a small one and wait. I have more patience than money.

Terry

• jpwill
    13 years ago

I'm trying to get directions to Andy's Market and Nursery. Are there two locations? I'm interested in the Hoover location. Can you give me specific directions?

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

as their website says: LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF HWY 150 & MARS HILL ROAD NEXT TO HUNTER STREET BAPTIST CHURCH
    ADDRESS: 124 MARS HILL ROAD Â PHONE: 205.402.2639

So, from the Galleria area continue SW on hwy 150 and continue approx 2 miles. You'll pass the Wal-mart shopping center on the left and several car dealerships. Past them you'll see the huge Hunter Street Baptist Church on the left, and just past it also on your left you'll see Mars Hill Rd & Andy's. If, by chance you pass under I-459 you've gone too far. Hope this helps.

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Terry, on the way out to Tannehill Trade Days saturday we tried to check out Emerald Gardens, but they were closed. But we did come across another little mom/pop nursery that I'd never been to before. It was "The Garden" at Morgan Rd (CR52) & Woodhaven Rd about a half mile or so before S Shades Crest going toward Helena on CR52. He grows a lot of his plants himself and had quite a few EEs and some huge, tree-size plumerias in 30gal pots, among other things. Prices were very reasonable & he's currently having a 20% off sale.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, John, thanks for the info. I think Emerald closes at lunchtime on Saturday. I can't imagine they get a lot of walk-in business on that road. He is mainly a landscape designer and provides material to other contractors. OMG, another nursery nearby. I can hardly wait to visit. We went to Tuscaloosa last Saturday. Our granddaughter took a medical certification test at Shelton State so we had four hours to knock-around. We did some antiquing and visited some nurseries. DUNN'S over near Northport has sold out to another group and the prices seem to be better. BARTON'S (Rice Mine Rd)had some nice stuff but also had a lady with attitude who thought she could sell me stuff I didn't need. She wasn't extremely knowledgable. Barton's had a nice black stemmed alocasia for $30 but I didn't get one. We stopped at a small nursery on Hwy 82 EAST, not too far from where you hit Hwy 82 as you come from the back side of the original Dreamland BBQ. They were extremely nice and helpful. Had us sit in the swing under a shed with a fan while they chit-chatted and he called The Plant Lady Nursery to see if they had the banana tree we wanted.

I received a Fuji Waterfall hydrangea for Father's Day. It sure is pretty and I'm sure it came from Andy's in Hoover. I thought Fuji was pretty but all the pix I've seen were white. When we went to Aldridge a couple of weeks ago I saw the pinkish color and I was in love. I just happened to think about this. We need to organize a bunch of GW members and start going to nurseries in different cities.

BTW, we ate a celebratory lunch at the original Dreamland; first time there. Kristin passed her written and practical exams and gets her certification. I've got to get this kid a RN degree so she can take care of me when I get really old. The original Dreamland's ribs are so much better with the "fall-off-the-bone" tenderness than at the UAB restaurant.BTW, if anyone needs concrete garden ornaments such as birdbaths, St. Francis, etc., there is a guy just off Skyland Blvd who has a nice selection at a good price. He is very close to the interstate.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, another story to share. I've been too good. Sylvia ordered my birthday present and it didn't come. She called and canceled the order but the credit was not on her credit card statement. She called them again last week and asked what is happening. They swore they had sent the order by UPS but they couldn't find it in their system or the UPS system, they swore they canceled the order. Long story short, the guy mailed by US Post Office. Yesterday when I got home I had two yellow clivias. He sent an extra. I already have a big pot of orange clivia a friend gave me before she retired. She had it 7 years without blooms. I got blooms the next spring and it has bloomed for 7 or 8 years.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County