Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldhillal

Kousa dogwood

goldhillal
16 years ago

I have a kousa dogwood which I have had for 3 or 4 years. It appears healthy and is about 10 feet tall. It has never bloomed. Does anyone have a clue why?

Comments (7)

• joann7
    16 years ago

It took my Kousa about 5 years to bloom, then sparsely. It is about 7 years old now and this is the first Spring that I had significant blooms. Maybe next year!

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

I've been growing c. kousa 'Milky Way' for about 5 years (the last 3 of which have been under drought conditions), and it's about 5 ft. tall. Last year was the first time it bloomed, but there were only about 4 or 5 blossoms. This year it was a bit more respectable, almost showy for it's size, but the immature fruit has all dropped. I think it's gonna be another 2 or 3 years before this one puts on a show, but I give it some slack because of the on-going drought. Maybe after a few years of normal rainfall it'll make me really proud. Hang in there - I think they'll be spectacular in time.

Nelson

• goldhillal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ! I'll keep waiting.

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Goldhill,
    If you've got a seedling kousa - which you very well may - they have to grow through their juvenile period to maturity, which may take 7-10 years, in some instances, before they'll bloom.
    I've got some that I grew from seed, about the size of the one you described - no flowers yet. Just gotta be patient.

hey, by the way, I grew up just down the road from you, at The Bottle, in the Farmville community.

• goldhillal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow,Lucky P! Why did you leave the garden spot of the earth?
    Could be a seedling, I guess, but I paid $25 for it at Home depot. Of course that may only prove that I had more money than sense.I really wanted a kousa but it is not very satisfying at this point.

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Ah, goldhill, would that I could have stayed there in Lee Co., but such are the pitfalls of getting an advanced education - as you get to know more and more about less and less, it often necessitates that you leave your home to go elsewhere to be an 'expert'(not that I am one, but I am 'from out of town').
    My parents sold the farm; I still have family and friends all over East Alabama, but I don't get down to visit nearly as often as I'd like.

I've not really paid much attention to the dogwoods at the big box stores - don't know if they routinely sell well-grown seedlings or grafted/budded selections. Just be patient, grasshopper; it'll bloom eventually - and it'll be worth the wait, I'll bet.

• Peg4260
    10 years ago

I've had a white kousa for three years and it bloomed well the 2nd year but had just a few blossoms this year. We were definitely not in a drought (NH) with plenty of rain and sun. Hoping for more blossoms next year again. The other two trees in this local area were beautiful though they are slightly larger
    Wondering about what kind of fertilizer, if any, might help it. I have been adding some compost every year which using has some added manure. Anyone know?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?