Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

Petals From The Past trip today!!! :)

tweetypye
14 years ago

Woo Hoo guys....I saw so much I wanted when we had the swap up there, but I didn't have room in my SUV for much that day, thanks to you folks. Anyway, I've ripped out a bed of ratty looking TB iris this week, amended and tilled the soil and wanted to put in another butterfly, hummer bed. I've been drooling over lots of the Plant Delights echinaceas and salvias so after seeing that PFTP had lots of these, decided to make a trip back up there today. I hit the jackpot people!! Got 6 new echinaceas, and about 7 new salvias, and a couple of asclepias for about half the price that Plant Delights had them for. I got them all planted this afternoon, now I can't wait for them to grow and fill in. It'll be a beautiful addition to my garden and when they all mature enough, I'll have some new stuff to bring to the swaps!! LOL

Who else has had planting fever this week?

Jan

Comments (7)

• catbird
    14 years ago

Good for you, Jan. We'll be happy to reap the rewards of your hard work!

I, too, have had the gardening fever with this beautiful weather, but am having to rework part of our front yard. We added a front porch to our house last year, so I'm working on new shrubbery, a new walkway, and a patch of grass. Spent a good bit of the Spring moving or potting up a hundred or so plants from the old perennial bed that had to be removed. I'm doing the manual labor myself (except for laying the flagstone walk), so I should be in good shape when/if I finish. ;-) Alice

• sinai
    14 years ago

Hi Jan.....

I went to a lecture Jason did on Tough Plants for the South at the Extension Service in Anniston yesterday.....He brought some great plants with him for folks to buy as well as gave a great talk.....I like his enthusiasm.....Anyways I got 5 new tall red phlox that he said is mildew resistant for an empty corner I got now and a salvia or two.....I always love to go to PFTP....Sounds like you're having a wonderful gardening year, hope everything with you is fine.....

Paul from Alabama

• ourhighlandhome
    14 years ago

Sounds like you had a great day, Jan! Good for you! I bought a lot of echinaceas at PFTP after the swap and you're right - they were a very pleasant surprise and a fraction of the cost you would pay elsewhere (especially on-line). Shame on Plant Delights! Another reason we should patronize the independently-owned nurseries that dare to offer the "new" and/or "unusual". Enjoy them!

Nelson

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alice..I can totally sympathise with you. We added a large porch a few years back and that left me with lots of relandscaping to do, most of which I did myself. It can be hard work, but it's so rewarding in the end. :)

Hi yourself Paul...long time no see, or should I say hear. :) Hope all's well with you and yours. Sounds like you had a great time at the lecture. Wish I could have been there, I would have loved to get some of those red phlox, red being my very favorite color in the world!! LOL You know who got me started with the echinaceas don't you? Why you of course, after seeing your beautiful photos. Good to hear from you.

Nelson...my sentiments exactly...I'll always buy locally if I can find what I'm looking for. PFTP sure has a larger variety than most nurseries in my area. Of course, it's not like PFTP is hundreds of miles from me. LOL I'll be going back before long cause there is some other stuff I "need" and my daughter and sister want to go back too but couldn't make the trip today, so that just gives me another excuse to return. :)
    Happy gardening all.
    Jan

• kabby_z8
    14 years ago

Gosh Jan I've never been up there but I'm sure feeling the need now thank you very much. I love echinaceas, my Green Envy is blooming now. Well let's see what have I been planting this week. Got a hosta order in today, the last of my daylily trades(spiders and UFs!)a mixed perennial trade should come in tomorrow and then I am through with the trading!
    I went to the Montgomery Nursery last week just looking for some alyssum for a border planting and my gosh they look like they were wiped out of everything. I looked at their remaining hosta and decided nahhhh. I'm scared of that virus.
    It's a good thing I haven't been to the swaps, I could be in big trouble!

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

I love Plant Delights but the bad thing is they are high priced and the shipping charges kill you. The swap was the first time we had been to PFTP since shortly after they opened. I wasn't impressed then but they have grown and I am duly impressed after the swap. We'll be going back soon.

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kabby...you really ought to go to PFTP...you won't regret the trip, I assure you. :) Hmmm....don't remember seeing "Green Envy" up there though. I might need to look for it. LOL

Terry..it had been quite a while since I was up there until the swap also. But the prices compared to Plant Delights are great, especially when you throw in the shipping. I know that PD has lots of unusual, but I was looking for specific echinaceas and salvias. I got the echinaceas at PFTP for 4 and 6 bucks each where PD sells them for 16 bucks each. Pretty good incentive to buy locally isn't it. There's still some more that I "need" so I'll probably be headed back up there soon. :)
    Jan

Sponsored