Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
high maintenance

Posted by ala8south (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 21:58

Saw a thread on high maintenance plants on another thread and thought it would be an interesting discussion. What plants have you found to be so high maintenance that you ended up ripping them out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: high maintenance

I gave up orchids. I could never get them to bloom if they lived.

o

Yeah, they're annoying alright. Actually I've decided that they annoy me when they are blooming too. There's just something wrong with a plant that has blooms that are perfect for months. It just sits there, being perfect. Doesn't move in the breeze. Doesn't follow the light. Doesn't start looking droopy. Heck, bugs don't even like them. Kind of like being around a "perfect" person...irritating.

o

That's so funny, ala8!

I don't plant marigolds anymore and haven't for years. Can't abide a plant that needs so much deadheading and is a spider mite magnet to boot!

o

Caladiums.
Yeah, a love/hate relationship there. Too much trouble to take them out of the ground and where do you store them to avoid ROT? Too blooming hot in Mobile.

And TSmith, I just got my first/only orchid, and don't know what to do with it. It was sure pretty with that bloom stalk, and with those long white roots reaching down toward the pot. I think I'd rather give it to someone, and play with my staghorn ferns--now there is something I can deal with.

o

For me it is brugmansia grown in pots. Constant watering, constant fertilizing, constant bug fighting. It may be different if they are in-ground, but in pots (my only option currently) they are more trouble than they are worth.

o

I love hybrid tea roses -- in someone else's garden! No way I'm going to do all that spraying and deadheading. Same goes for dahlias and anything else that has to be dug up in the Fall and replanted in the Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here