Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

?Grancy Greybeard Seeds?

tsmith2579
18 years ago

I read the post about grancy greybeard from BDnBAMA. I am wondering if it produces seeds. With all of those blooms, surely it produces some kind of seed. Are they easy to germinate? When are the seeds ready to pick? Can I pick them and plant this season and have seedlings large enough to survive the winter? ... or should I wait until next spring to plant seeds. A home about 3/4 mile away has a GG in its yard and I was thining about asking them about seeds. Any advice? - Thanks, Terry

Comments (5)

• hardygt
    18 years ago

according to Richard Bir's text, "Growing and Propagating Showy Native Woody Plants," the seeds are within the awful smelling fall fruit and require a double dormancy. Grancy Greybeard's are also very slow growing. They are getting more popular. I would opt for hunting one down in a nursery.

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

hi terry,
    i can't confirm the "awful smelling fruit" comment. mine makes quite a few seeds and i have never detected a smell, even after taking the seed from the pulp.
    i have read that they are dioecious but there are some who seem to challenge that.
    they are ready when they turn dark blue and begin to wrinkle. they do require a double-dormancy. plant them at that time and perhaps you will see some germination by the second spring.
    i have a couple of small trees that grew from my tree's seed( i moved them into containers from beneath the tree). i wish i had known - i just drove through your area this weekend.
    they are beautiful when they get big and have a wonderful fragrance. i posted a picture of my old specimen in the tree forum gallery. they develop a much better form and produce more flowers in sun but will grow in the understory.

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

I keep seeing the dioeicious thing, too, but I have a single bush in my yard - no others within a couple of miles - and it has produced seeds the past couple of year.
    I've not yet had any success germinating any - including a bag full of them that Jeff sent me from his plant several years back (or if they did, I lost/misplaced them).

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Jeff, Hardygt and Lucky. You have been a lot of help to me. I'm going to stop this week and ask the "neighbors" if their tree makes seeds and if I can have some. Y'all have a been a big help.

Thanks

Terry

• happyldy08
    15 years ago

When you say "they require double dormancy", does this mean not to expect any sprouts until the second spring after they are planted? I thought all my seeds were gone, that the birds had eaten them but I look and found a handful under the tree. I put them all in a pot underneath the soil, not very deep and watered them. I have it in a sunny location. Have I done the right thing. Is not, please advise. I have two tree, both bloom but only one has seeds and it does not not look good at all.

Sponsored