Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forrestal_gw

Agapanthas (what makes them bloom?)

forrestal
18 years ago

We have several beds of Agapanthas. Some are blooming, some not. Guess which ones we like best?? Does anyone have a recommendation on what fertilizer or technique will promote blooming? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Forrest, have they been in the ground long enough to need dividing? I believe that difficult task should be done every 3 to 4 years. I'd probably use any low N higher P fertilizer to encourage blooms.

• forrestal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybe so, I hadn't thought of that, they have been in the ground about 5 years. When is the best time of year to dig them? Thanks for your help.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Hi, Al. Yep....I'm afraid that you have a chore ahead of you. Normally I don't think these plants care much when they are divided, but in your area, I would vote for fall digging. Maybe some others will chime in on this so we can set you on the right path.

• lisa455
    18 years ago

They are picky. I have noticed that they need a lot of water to bloom and they resent being transplanted. Could it have been extra dry for you this year as it has been for us?

• daphne35
    18 years ago

Once again, I am fighting wild garlic in my garden. The pacific blue juniper covered slopes have this plant throughout and I have sprayed with Image to no avail. I might mention that the junipers are six years old and very thick, but the dreaded garlic pops on through. The leaves are flat and somewhat waxy, not rounded like wild onions or field garlic. Any suggestions?

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

Forrest,
    I had Agapanthus "Peter Pan" in rich humusy soil,watered them diligently and they didn't bloom for two years. I then moved them to a dry slope in full sun and did not water them. They bloomed! I don't know if other cultivars can take such abuse or not.

Susan.

Susan.

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

Hmm, I'd about given up on my Agapanthus "Danube" and "Elaine", was about to dig up the bulbs to do a post-mortem and see if I could find the bulbs, see a problem, etc. Sounds like it's possible they are still alive and just being picky.

Alex

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

Hmmm...I think you may be on to something Susan! My best bloomers (Peter Pans) are rootbound in pots, setting on concrete steps and getting blasted with sun & heat most all day long. The next-best bloomer (orientalis 'AttaBlue'?) is in similar conditions. Maybe my regular Africanus and 'Elaine' need a bit more "adversity" to induce heavier blooming.

• upstate
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    I live in upstate New York and bought agapanthas, potted them and did well in the summer. I have moved them indoors now and they are yellowing? Food? Less water? any ideas. Thanks, Upstate

• terryswims_hotmail_co_uk
    16 years ago

Do not over water and feed them, this will help the foliage more than the blooms.

• terryswims
    16 years ago

upstate, move them back outside, they need the light.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

This is what I have learned from someone with a degree in agriculture who grows quite a few agapanthus in our area. Do not let them get crowded. Better to plant them in pots.

• dmuller
    16 years ago

Ours in Houston bloomed great early but stopped due to all the rain. Since they have quit is it OK to cut the blooming stalks off? or do they bloom again from the same stalk?
    they look funny without flowers on them.

• collinw
    16 years ago

I find that they do better if they are not planted too deep. (Not more than 2" . I even have clumps that the top of the bulb is exposed and it doesn't seem to bother them.) And that they perform better in pots, especially if you have poor draining soil.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz