Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea-Harmony-Ayesha-Blushing Bride

Posted by tsmith2579 7B/8A (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 23:29

Sylvia and I went to a local garden center today and came across three hydrangeas with which we fell in love. I was already familiar with Blushing Bride and Harmony but we saw Ayesha and it was so different. Ayesha's blooms remind me of lilacs. I Googles Ayesha and it was introduced back in the late 1940s. Has anyone grown these varieties locally? What are your results with these three? Thanks

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea-Harmony-Ayesha-Blushing Bride

Terry,

i don't have Harmony or Blushing bride, but i think I have a nice big hydrangea that is Ayesha. I'm trying to include the picture. I lost the tag to the plant but it sure looks the pictures I googled for Ayesha. I can take a cutting and give you one at fall swap if you like.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: hydrangea

o

Oh my but that's pretty...could you take more than one cutting and trade me one at the fall swap also? :)
Jan

o

Todd, the first pic didn't open but the second did open and that is Ayesha. If you would layer a cutting for me I would be so thankful. Thanks for the kind offer.

THANKS

Terry

o

Sure, i'll try and root some cuttings for the fall swap. I saw a big group of these when I went for a walk at aldridge gardens today. They look like they do well there. Mine came from a cutting from neighbor who got the plant Wal-Mart.

My favorite hydrangea I have blooming right now is "Fuji Waterfall." Its also unusual and very pretty. I got it Aldridge gardens sale a few years ago.

o

• Posted by idig 7b (My Page) on
    Sun, May 31, 09 at 19:46

That is gorgeous, you might oughta root a few!!

o

Hey Todd - I could use some info on how to do cuttings and rootings. Would you mind telling us your method and progress on this hydrangea cutting, do you root it in water, soil, etc. I think I'll also start a new topic. I'd like to try some rootings for the fall swap as well. Thanks! your hydrangea is beautiful!

o

Airydana, I know you asked Todd but I'm sending my 2 cents of advice. Beth Carroll from the Alabama Forum and I went to a lecture at Aldridge Gardens last June to learn how to root hydrangeas. We were shown how to use soil less mix as the medium. I tried about 10 cuttings and only one survived. I've had much better luck by taking a low limb, bending it down to the ground, putting a shovel of dirt over it and a brick on top to hold it in place. You can scrape off some of the bark on the limb and dust it with Rootone if you wish. These will root in just a few weeks if you water them and feed them a root stimulator. Even oak leaf hydrangeas root quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here