Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing tips for a south alabama rookie...

Posted by honeynjam none (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 23:49

Hey everyone!

I was really excited to find the alabama gardening forum! I recently moved back home after a brief stint in kentucky (where literally all of my plants died). I previously had a wonderfully green thumb in tuscaloosa.

Things that excited me:

1. spring plant swap/trade
2. someone was growing lilacs? I was told by a nursery owner that they wouldn't survive our heat/lack of freeze.

Does anyone have tips on growing in the daphne/mobile area 8b. I'm coming from a 7. I'm not sure how different my growing experience will be here.

Excited to be here, and thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing tips for a south alabama rookie...

Welcome back, You are welcome to come to our Swap Sat. at Oak Mt State Park. I think there is a swap closer to you. I can't help you on growing in your area, but some of the other live near you.
I have 6 lilacs in the ground now, they made it all this crazy winter and look good. There is only a few lilacs that will make it here. The ones I have are Wonderblue., but there are others. Just be sure to read the tags or talk to gardeners.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 6:37

Welcome from Mobile County.

Looks like this year will be another wet one so I'd say any sort of swamp & wetlands plants, LOL!

o

Hi to you from Opp! If you don't mind saying, curious where you are? Somewhere south of Tuscaloosa?

One of these years, those of us in LA need to have a swap, I just can't go that far for one even though it sounds so amazing and awesome and I want to meet everyone so much! I was all ready to get one going this spring, then we decided we were moving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here