Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen68_gardener

Move to Huntsville, AL

karen68-gardener
13 years ago

My husband and I are considering a move to Huntsville sometime this year. I was a Master Gardener in Chesterfield, VA (near Richmond) for several years and would be interested in taking the course in Huntsville and becoming a Master Gardener there. Although Richmond and Huntsville are both Zone 7, I'm sure there are many differences between them in gardening, and it would be a wonderful way to meet people there who love gardening. Is there a Master Gardener program in Huntsville?

Comments (9)

• dirtman16
    13 years ago

I'm relatively new to Huntsville myself, so I'm not sure about the Master Gardener program. However, the Botanical Gardens here hold regular educational classes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huntsville Botanical Gardens Adult Courses

• engineeredgarden
    13 years ago

Yes, there is a MG program in the area. It is called Master Gardeners of North Alabama. I'm a member of the Shoals Master Gardener Chapter, and the program is excellent. To find out more about the MG program in Huntsville, call the extension office at Phone: (256) 532-1578

EG

• karen68-gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are moving to the Huntsville area --city of Madison--around Nov. 1, and I am looking forward to our new home and new friends there; also, being close to our grandchildren who already live there! I hope those new friends will include many gardening buddies!

• catbird
    13 years ago

Welcome to AL! Keep checking and posting here and plan to come to the Spring swap. If you'll be putting in a new garden, just come empty-handed and we'll send you home with with some things to start with. Also watch for the Etowah County MG plant sale in Gadsden in April. There'll be LOTS of perennials and shrubs for good prices and it's an easy drive from Huntsville.

Alice

• outsideplaying_gw
    13 years ago

You will find many gardening friends both in Madison and Huntsville. Sign up for membership at the Botanical Garden and volunteer there if you're looking for something to fill some time. They are always looking for volunteers and it would be a good way to work off your MG hours. There is a big sale at the garden in April and the swaps are a good way to meet folks and load up your trunk with new stuff. Folks always will have things to share. The main differences you will find are a bit longer growing season for vegetables, earlier planting times and later frost.
    Stay in touch when you get settled.
    Elaine

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Welcome to Dixie. Of course with y'all being from up North you are naturally suspect to many of us natives but in 20 years or so you'll finally be accepted by polite company. All joking aside, WELCOME!

• topsiebeezelbub
    13 years ago

Yeah...welcome to purgatory! Sorry to be a downer, but after 6 months of unrelenting heat and drought,watching thousands of dollars worth of plants dry up and blow away, spending all my time and money on water...all I can think about is getting outa here! Stick with artificial plants and astroturf. hrmfff.

• cupbearer
    13 years ago

Sounds like Topsiebreezebub lives in Madison. I've heard it said their water costs is like you're hose is spitting out gold coins. I live between Madison and Huntsville, but I have Monrovia water and it's reasonable. There are a LOT on new homes being built since we're expecting BRAC. Talk it over seriously with your family before you buy. That way you will know the best location for what you wish to have. Different areas have different costs and some are only a mile apart. My daughter owns a home on the other side of Madison from Huntsville yet is on Huntsville water.

• outsideplaying_gw
    13 years ago

Karen68, you will find that water rates are slightly higher in Alabama. I have heard that from several transplants from Northern Virginia recently. I don't know about the difference between Huntsville and Madison, however, as I am in Morgan County and am on a different water system yet again. We live in the country, have a septic system but city water, and have a fairly substantial irrigation system so it wouldn't be fair to compare mine anyway.

Unless you are 'hooked' into moving to Madison to be close to family, as a long-time resident of Huntsville and life-long resident of the area, I would look at some other established neighborhoods in Huntsville or nearby areas. There are some lovely neighborhoods without the crowded 'new subdivision' feel. Just my $.02.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio