Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseofanothercoler

need help on selecting new foundation shrubs

roseofanothercoler
16 years ago

New to formum. I just pulled up the 37-year old azaleas in the front of my house. They were pretty,(they faded as soon as they bloomed) but I really want something more. The front of my house face east and I have

a huge oak tree (not live Oak) shading the front. So I get morning sun and dappled shade the rest of the day.

I have an area between my frontwalk and the house that is really the size of a small room. It is probably 7x9 feet. I could really use some suggestions on how to landscape this area. And what kind of shrubs and plants other have used and loved. I have looked at many books, but I guess I'm afraid to take the leap without some imput from local gardeners. I will appreciate any suggestions and advise you would be willing to give me. thank you, Rosie

PS. my house is reddish orangish brick with with trim and black shutter.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

One of my favorite evergreen shrubs for the South is Cleyera (Ternstomia gymnanthera). For some reason, it just jumps out at me with those glossy leaves, bronzy new growth, and dark green foliage.) It's not a tiny shrub,though.

• cindylou111
    16 years ago

How about one beautiful red or white camilla bush in the middle of that 7x9 space and then dwarf azaleas the repeat type around the border

• roseofanothercoler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should have clarified that the area I'm seeking help with is under my three dining room windows. So the shrubs and plants need to stay below 3 to 3 1/2 feet in the middle section. There is a space on each end to have a higher speciman. I was thinking about a small Crepe Mytle to limb up as a small tree on the driveway side and then a tea olive
    next to the front door on the other end.
    I was considering boxwood in the middle as a evergreen background with knock out rose in front of them and maybe Marie Pave in there as well. BUT I read a caution about having the Mama,Papa and baby bush look going.
    What would you do if it was your project?
    Thank you for your imput?
    As to the use of a camilla. I had consider the Sasq. type. I don't have any camilla's at all in my yard YET

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

a shrub with a somewhat similar look of the cleyera is pittosporum. for your height restrictions, p. tobira 'wheeler's dwarf' would be a good choice. i grow the larger 'variegata' in dappled sun and love the foliage.
    i read that 'wheeler's dwarf' is not as hardy as the species and they recommend zone8b and higher but, as a foundation plant with some protection by the house, it might be o.k.
    flowers are said to be fragrant, too, but i can't detect that on mine.
    i would recommend camellia 'shishi gashira' that would also not exceed your height by much (slow growing) except it has a hot pink flower color and i dont' think you'd want that against orange-red bricks. *lol* maybe something with white flowers?

Here is a link that might be useful: pittosporum tobira

• debbido
    16 years ago

What about a Gardenia? You know the Tea Olive will get HUGE!!! Also, not evergreen, but Hydrangea's are spectacular.

Deb

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus