Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegirl_tn

Strange shrub in Florence Alabama

cottagegirl_tn
15 years ago

Hi Alabamians! I live just over the state line in TN but work in Florence Alabama. I was driving to work this week and a brightly reddish orange bloom caught my eye. The owner of the house it was growing at is young and just moved in recently. She said an older couple used to own the house and they have all kinds of neat plants but I've never seen this one before. It is a shrub and has oval shiny leaves and was fairly tall...kind of reminds you of a rose of sharon without the leaf serration. It was a double orangy red and was definitely not a rose of any kind. Any ideas what this might be? I'll try to stop by and take a pic if that is needed for further id. I just thought since it was blooming now someone might know. Anyone happen to live in Florence?

Jennifer

Comments (13)

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Try posting a picture.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Sounds like ornamental pomegranate. Look at this link to see if it look like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: ornamental pomegranate CRW_3670

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Gosh Terry that is so pretty...I want one!! LOL No idea where I'd put it, but I bet I'd find a place. :)
    Jan

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

my first guess was the same as terry's but then i thought that a pomegranate would not be hardy in florence. are there more cold-hardy selections, terry?
    is it planted outside or growing in a container, jennifer?

• msfitznham
    15 years ago

Is it a Japanese Quince?

My grandmother had a couple of these planted alongside blue mophead hydrangeas and the contrast was really striking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Quince

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Hi, Jeff. Good to hear from you. The ornamental pomegranate grows outside in Birmingham. I have one about 12-15 feet tall beside the greenhouse front door. I only remember one fruiting pomegranate in Birmingham and that was during the early 1961-62 in the Inglenook community. Last year someone on the Alabama forum said there was a fruiting pomegranate off Jackson Blvd in the city of Tarrant near the high school. I could never find it. You don't see either the ornamental or fruiting varieties very often.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

hello terry (and to you as well, nelson, from your greeting in another post if you are reading this)
    so, there are ornamental vs. fruiting pomegranates and the ornamental are more cold-hardy than the fruiting type?
    there was a fruiting one near the turnoff to my house from hwy. 14 when i first moved here (auburn area - 1981) but it disappeared after a pretty cold winter.

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

A friend of mine near Eclectic has a fruiting one that's been is his yard since he purchased his home about 12 or so years ago, and it's an old home so theres no telling how long it's been there. It's a huge one.
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Jennifer, did you ever get a chance to "check-it-out"? What did you decide? Were the blooms sort of like an orangy-red carnation? - Terry

• cottagegirl_tn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, all..sorry for not getting back with ya. It looks like the ornamental pomegranate to me. After I posted that I saw another one much larger in the same neighborhood...it was tree size and this one was more shrub size (like rose of sharon size). I don't know why I haven't noticed either of them in the 3 years I've driven this route...go figure. No it is def. not a quince. These 2 are not sheltered at all. The bloom does resemble a bright orangy red carnation of sorts. Thanks for all the great input.

• bamadave
    15 years ago

There are several fruiting pomegranates in my area in Southwestern Blount County (Smoke Rise). One down the street from me is loaded with large orange fruits every Fall. Seems to be a country shrub! There is also a large pomegranate along Hwy-31 just North of Decatur near where I work. I didn't notice whether it had fruits on it last Fall, but it is just past peak blooming with its red-orange flowers.

I wonder whether there are male and female pomegranates, and many of the non-fruiting ones are males that people grew by planting seeds from a fruit they bought in a grocery store? I thought the ornamental varieties were selected for beautiful double flowers and/or different flower colors.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

My ornamental blooms all tear long. It can be a mess as the blooms drop bu the bright blooms more than offset the liability.

• beckyeaves
    15 years ago

I have a very small ornamental one that I've had for a couple of years and it hasn't bloomed yet.....any ideas? Also, it seemed to have some sort of something....the leaves were curling up and turning black just as they came on the beginning of spring...I put some of that fungus/fertilizer on it and that part seems ok now....but I'd love it to bloom.

Sponsored