Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdposey26

Amateur Gardener Checking In

cdposey26
15 years ago

Hello all, I just ran across this site the other night and realized how much I have to learn. I look forward to getting to know and learning from you all. I just got addicted to gardening over the past couple of weeks. I have planted my first vegetable garden a week ago and so far so good. I am really excited to see what actually grows and produces. I got started on my flower beds this past weekend and I am all over the map right now. I did plant a butterfly bush and a little ground cover, but have decided I need more time and money to support my new habit. Since its all new to me I will apologize in advance for any basic questions that may seem stupid and i will try to search a little to refrain from asking questions that might already be answered. Anyway, thanks for having me.

Comments (9)

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

cdposey, I ran into this site about 5 yrs ago, my page say 2005 but I know I have been logging in longing than that. You need to come to a swap and meet all the garden folks and swap plants. I now have so many different plants that if I had bought I would be in the poor house. You will learn so much info here.
    Jill

• cdposey26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to come to a swap and meet some people sometime. I suppose you all keep us posted when and where these swaps happen. It may be a while before I have anything available to swap and might need help on how to make cuttings (I guess this is how you swap) or I guess if you get tired of a plant you dig it up maybe? If anyone is in the Helena area, I would love to come check out some gardens in person sometime too. I can't wait to learn.

• tedevore
    15 years ago

I'm in Hoover, not far away, and I am rooting some hydrangeas and have starts of some things...we swap things we divide, or start from seet or cuttings, or bought too much of, we swap garening suppies--whatever. if you email me sometime, I'd be happy to share some things and show you the plants I have duking it out for space to grow.

I think most of my favorite plants came from the nice people at our swaps,
    including things you won't usually find in plant nurseries.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Welcome. You will have to join us at the next swap. If you have any questions or I can help in any way, shoot me an email. - Terry

• cdposey26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Let me know when the next swap is and I will plan on attending.

• cdposey26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok I have an issue I think. I believe a neighborhood cat has decided to use my beds and gardens as a litter box and it is leading to lots of flies and maggots. Anyway suggestions on controlling the flies and maggots and keeping out the cats? Thanks.-Trey

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Trey, I have never known flies to be drawn to cat poo. Heck, it even stinks too much for blow flies. Plus, cats are usually very good about covering it. When I walk my cat he poos and pees and we spend endless time while he covers, sniffs and recovers. Are you sure it is cat poo? Regardless of what type of critter it is, try this remedy. Sprinkle the edges of the bed with cayenne pepper. The cat will smell it and get it on his paws. When he liks his paws, it wil burn. It may even burn his paws. I'll bet that will deter whichever critter it may be.

• cdposey26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot.

• cdposey26
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I put out the cayenne to hopefully get out the animals. The flies are still irritating though I am over run. I just ordered flies be gone. Has anyone had any experience with these fly traps? I am going to give them a shot and hope this soon passes because it is very annoying.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!