Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Poplar Tree

Posted by alabama_jan Zn8AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 1:39

My husband and I recently moved to Tuscaloosa. There is a poplar tree that is a line tree between us and our neighbors. The tree has been here about 10 years and has some height to it. When it leafed out this Spring, some of the lower branches were dead. Now more are dying. We have given it extra water during the hot weather. We have had two so-called experts look at it. One didn't have a clue and the other thought it was just natural dying back. I don't agree with the diagnosis as it is progressively dying on both sides of the tree and near the top as well as the lower branches where we first noticed the problem. Has anyone out there had a problem like this? I really hate to lose this tree as it gives us shade in the afternoon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Poplar Tree

Maybe the info at the link will help you identify the cause.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poplar insects and diseases

o
RE: Dying Poplar Tree

The only visible problem with my dying poplar tree is that the leaves look wilted and are rolled up along the edges. There is no sign of gall, no oozing sap, nothing except the leaves and dying limbs. There are other poplar trees in the neghborhood (in fact developer put them on the lines between every lot) and the other poplar trees don't seem to be having a problem. I moved in house in August and the tree seemed to be fine. I really didn't have a reason to examine it closely but it could have had some dying twigs then. Right now with it hot and dry, I am watering it as the leaves indicate lack of moisture to me. Thanks for any help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here