Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kabby_z8

Armadillos

kabby_z8
16 years ago

Some people have their voles, some have deer, squirrels( a sometime problem for me)and rabbits but my major pests are armadillos.

I know about shooting and trapping but is there something chemically that will deter them? I know about ridding myself of grubs, fences. I have a chainlink fence and then I actually have other fencing around certain daylily beds but still they come. Would a castor oil product work?

I shouldn't have told my husband a few weeks ago, "I haven't had much armadillo damage this yr." Shut my mouth!! I can't keep up with re-covering the roots of the daylilies, placing them back where they belong. It's a new bed everyday. Even if I get no tips from y'all I was allowed to vent! LOL!

Comments (15)

• goldhillal
    16 years ago

Right now I am using moth balls. I am not positive it is working, but damage seems to be less. I just fling them out where damage seems worse. Moth balls deter squirrels so I am trying them on the armadillos. A possible mode of action is the naphthalene kills or runs off the insects and grubs in the vicinity. According to what I read recently, armadillos are so dumb that even when the grubs/bugs in an area are poisoned it can take up to a week for them to realize they need to find new feeding grounds. rottsa ruck.

• mimidi
    16 years ago

Glad to know I am not alone in my feelings for the armadillo. Where I water they especially love to dig. I will try the moth ball thing. I have also been told moth ball will keep snakes away. Now that I don't have a clue about.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

I can't think of too many more toxic substances than moth balls. The chance of non target poisoning is pretty high, too. They are not intended to be used (ever) outside in the open or in holes in the ground. They are not intended to be used to repel anything (bats, squirrels, 'dillos, cats, dogs, mice, skunks, moles, etc.) including moths. They KILL moths when used according to label directions.

Accidental inhalation or ingestion of naphthalene can cause serious to severe injury or disease and even death.

• sundog7
    16 years ago

Most modern moth balls are made from 1,4-Dichlorobenzene (para-dichlorobenzene or p-DCB), not naphthalene. Though still a poison, it's not nearly as bad as one would think.

There are cases of people who have eaten p-DCB products regularly for months to years because of its sweet taste. These people had skin blotches and lower numbers of red blood cells.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1,4-Dichlorobenzene

• jonnypop
    16 years ago

if im not mistaken there is a product out that is made from mountain lion urine dont know what its called but i know it makes them think that its a natural predators teritory .so stay away or get eaten.safe for plants too

• kabby_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My husband was in town today and stopped by the co op. He said they did have something to repel the dillos but he wanted me to read the warnings on the labels first. Two precious dogs can't be replaced if they should get into something that they shouldn't.

• mimidi
    16 years ago

I would not want to use anything repel them that would kill my butterflies and hummingbirds. We got a 1/2 inch rain late yesterday afternoon and some areas of my yard looks as if it has been plowed up. The armadillos really had a feast last night.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

they ahve been busy in my yard as well. only thing they bother is the flowerbeds where the soaker hoses are, naturally. have tried lining beds in double bricks - not working - everyone was right that said "it won't work" but it was worth a try.....Gotta get outside and get to hunting again - can't do traps b/c of my cat.

• kabby_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I can vouch for the moth balls not working, I had already put them out before posting. I have replanted daylilies so many times they don't know what to do. Bricks on top of the roots didn't work. I got some old tomato cages that taper down to the ground and placed it around certain plants and those have stayed in place. Not feasible for large raised beds like I have. They also seem to attack the same beds so I'm thinking left over hog wire until they slack off. And they will slow down, it's just they are very active in the spring. Hog wire isn't attractive but what the hey!

• kabby_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I did go to the co op and they have a quart spray bottle of BioDefend's Armadillo Repellent. IT WORKS. I couldn't beieve it, I watered the flower beds very heavily, and then sprayed the plants and around the edge of the bed. They dug out in the yard instead, and tunneled under some potted gingers. I can handle that. It was $18 for the bottle, the spray is supposed to last 90 days. It does have castor bean oil in it, and the plants have a sheen to them but they are none the worse for wear. I'm a happy camper!

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

How 'bout some armadillo recipes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Critter Cuisine

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I hope the Critter Cuisine cookbook is a joke. Please do not eat armadillo meat. Armadillos are a known host for the Hansen's disease bacteria. Hansen's disease is LEPROSY. Handling the uncooked meat could expose one to leprosy, an incurable disease. Like tuberculosis, leprosy can be arrested but is never cured. Relapse is always possible.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

i think i am gonna try the biodefend. Thanks Kabby!

I don't know if you remember me - i came and got some of your crinums last year. they haven't bloomed yet - but are getting bigm thnaks to my sprinklers....

• kabby_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Save your money Rosey, it lasted all of 2 days before they were digging again. I told my husband to buy a dumptruck load of sand and we were going to go around each section of the chainlink fence and plug up holes. I won't shoot them so the only way is to stop the access to my flowerbeds. I've lost valuable daylilies because of these armour plated BUGS!
    And of course I remember you, it took us awhile to get coordinated for you to get your plants. By the way anyone want any JC Harvey crinum? LOL!

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

oh i have no qualms about shooting at them - i just don't do so hot at hitting them!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting