Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not many Persimmons this season

Posted by barberberryfarm 8A (kenandanida@barberberryfarm.com) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 7:45

I have about 40 asian persimmon trees, to include Fuyu, Jiro and Mikawa Jiro. They range from 3-7 years old and last year they all produced fruit. However, this year only 3 out of the 40 have fruit and even on those trees there are only a few. There are plenty of leaves, though. I'm guessing it's because of the warm winter we just had. I didn't change my fertilization practice nor the amount of water they get as my entire farm has irrigation. I know most folks don't have 40 persimmon trees growing in their backyard, but is anyone else encountering the same issue? I'm sure next year they will be loaded, as in the previous years. This just seems a little weird.

Ken Barber
Millbrook AL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not many Persimmons this season

I can't help much, since this is the first year my tree will be bearing fruit, but I think I have a healthy crop for the size/age of the tree.

Maybe you didn't get enough hours this winter?

o

Thanks for your feedback. That's what I was figuring. According to ACES, we got 654 chill hours (546 modified hours) in our area near Prattville where we normally get at least 800-850 hours. The weird thing is when I look up chill hour requirements for asian persimmons, they usually range between 150-200 hours. That's why I was checking to see if anyone else in Alabama was experiencing this issue. I talked to an ACES agent and he said a farmer in Coosa county was also experiencing a similar issue.

o

That would seem like enough chilling hours with ample room to spare for microclimate or plant variations.

Another thought is that perhaps your pollinators were busy elsewhere when the trees bloomed -- assuming they bloomed. I have noticed that the insects' schedules are different this year.

o

That's just it, I never saw any blooms either. But if there were, we have 11 stacks of honey bees no more than 500 ft away, so you would think a lack of pollinators wouldn't be the issue. Also, I've heard persimmon trees drop fruit periodically if they overcrop, but there is no evidence of that either. Weird ... But, there is always next year ... :o)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here