Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle11_gw

need advice on garden/fertilizer

michelle11
17 years ago

Hi all. I need some help. This year I made a raised garden bed and filled it with compost from spreadrite organics. They told me that compost was all I needed, and recommended against adding any additional soil. So I believed them, and the result has been discouraging. Seeds that I plant do come up, but never seem to grow beyond the half-inch/first leaves stage (with the exception of beans/peas). Seedlings that I purchase and plant survive well, but don't grow more and are showing no signs of producing fruit. I have tried watering with an all-purpose plant food, and it seems to help a little with the plants that are beyond the first leaf stage, but still not the growth you would expect. My question is this: is there anything I can do this year to rescue my crops (or should I just plan to visit the farmers market more often to get my veggies)? And in the fall/winter, what do you think I should add to help the soil? Should I try to add lots of fertilizer only (and what type), or should I dig out half the compost and add in regular soil? I should add, the compost looks like it is all decomposed wood; it is nice and black and was still very warm when we got it, but since spreading it out in the garden it is not hot anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Michelle

Comments (2)

Sponsored