mokey
12 years ago

are these ant trails or termites?

{{gwi:364500}}

{{gwi:364501}}

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

This is neither ants nor termites, but a bit migration of (are you ready for the 'ick' factor?) fungus gnat larvae. Looks like they are either going to that bag of potting soil, or away from it.

This is an usual event, but not rare. There's already been three for four pictures of such aggregations posted elsewhere on the Forums within the past couple of months.

I'll attach another image for you, just so you don't feel 'alone'.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:364499}}

• mokey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a couple of bags of soil and some bags of mulch there. is any of it still usable if the larvae are in there? and how do i rid them?

12 years ago

If you are using the mulch or any of the other products in the garden, then NO PROBLEM. Fungus gnats or their larvae simply do not pose a problem in the outdoor environment.

Where they become a nuisance is in containers. I think that I would put the potting soil, if you are going to use it for container grown plants, into some CLEAR plastic bags. Make sure that the potting medium is moistened (not soaked), and place the tightly sealed bags somewhere in the blazing sun for several days. The steam treatment will kill the larvae and the potting soil will be fine to use.

Clear plastic will create a solarization type of environment. White or black plastic bags won't accomplish the job nearly as well.

• mokey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thx! I will do that.

• gruber
    12 years ago

Bull crap those are termites,some one has broken into their dirt tunnel they built across that walk!!!

12 years ago

No need to get your shorts in a wad, gruber...

Now that I've done a better job at looking at an enlargement of the second image, I can see that gruber is right. Mokey, I am more than just a little sorry about the missed identification.

I'll always be the first one to admit an error and learn from it. In this case, I was too quick to jump on the ID, without taking a good, hard look at it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Gruber, it is not necessary at all to be rude when you disagree.

• mokey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG! I am so glad I came back to check for more answers. should I be throwing everything away and calling an exterminator? or can I spray myself?

12 years ago

Mokey, I emailed you directly on Wednesday via your address listed on your "My Page". I've heard that sometimes gardenweb email doesn't work, darn it all.

If you own your home, you probably have a termite contract already, don't you? Seems like that was a requirement for us before we could purchase this home. If so, you might want to give them a call and find out when the last exterior inspection was done. (Our company comes out once a year.)

If not, it would be a good idea to contact a pest control company after the weekend. Termite control is best left in the hands of professionals.

• gruber
    12 years ago

Rhizo! I am 60 my shorts are always a little bunched...Especially when it's hot... I don't see that well either...better luck next time.lol

Sponsored