Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Little Black Beetles

Posted by woodtracy z7 AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 9:22

Can anyone tell me what type of bug this might be? It is a tiny black beetle that is eating the petals off my Rudbeckia and Purple Coneflower. Does anyone have any solutions? I will attempt post a picture soon. I have a couple in a glass of soapy water that I caught. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am very angry with these creatures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Little Black Beetles

I forgot to say that they are eating the petals off before the flowers get a chance to bloom.... UGh! So all I have left are the centers.

o

If they eat little holes all over the leaves and petals, you could have flea beetles. Flea beetles if you have them will jump around when you shake the plants. Little and black.

o

Also Japanese Beetles are small and kindof black (irredescent). They are eating my crepe myrtles and my clemtis.

Dina

o

I have the same little pests on my collard greens and stock. I found this website (among others) that give extensive information on them but no natural remedies. If anyone finds a natural remedy for the little bugars, I'd love to have it. http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/fleabeet.htm

o

I, too, have these little black monsters! They have ruined the looks of my purple coneflowers for the past two summers. Has anyone used beneficial nematodes for these little guys and/or the wonderful Japanese beetle?

o

I have found that sprinkling some Sevin-5 Dust on plants and soil will kill virtually every harmful bug out there. It is safe to use around pets and even on pets that have fleas and ticks. You can find it at just about any garden supply store.

o

Sevin is what i use for just about everything also - no harm to anything, including my animals. However, no luck on fire ants, as usual.

o

I have the little devils also. Took a picture and will probably send to my local extension service to see what they are..would like to post a pix here but can't figure out how...I'm new to the forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here