Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhamian

Spring Vegetables

bhamian
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Gardenweb. I am wondering what y'all are successfully harvesting right now? My lettuce did so well with the rain. I tried Broccoli rabe which grew well (now going to seed) but I was not that impressed with the edible output. Those florets are just too little and there were too few leaves. Arugula and cilantro did well and are going to seed. The parsley is going along well, wish I had planted more of that too. Potatoes should be harvested soon. The green onions did poorly, so few seeds came up. The broccoli is hanging on, I planted it after the last frost date. Anyone know if I will get florets? The snow peas did ok but didn't last long. Anyone plant anything else?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Juliet

Comments (5)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

You aren't set up to receive emails. Send me an email and I will send you a planting guide from H.G. Hastings (which I've saved for over 20 years) for planting in the South. You probably planted broccoli and broccoli rabe too late. Plant onion plants or small onion sets, not seeds. Green peas will not last long, usually no more than 2 weeks. The guide has all this info.

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

Welcome Juliet!! I don't know much about vegetables, but you will find this site to be a great group of friendly folks, and the spring and fall plant swaps are a lot of fun.

• tedposey
    14 years ago

Did my first harvesting today two cucumbers and a cayenne pepper.Lol. Will gather some scallop squash in a day or two.
    My early stuff ,lettuce, cabbage, kale, turnip greens mustard and radishes died due to standing water from too much rain. Also got a poor stand of beans due to too much water, and had to replant. Good stand now and good stand of okra. Kohlrabi is growing nicely but long way from harvest.
    If you're new to veggie gardening in Al you must try okra.

• farmersteve
    14 years ago

I am starting to get some carrots. Chard and beets are finally doing well, but they were mostly delayed by the rabbits (have harvested 3 of those out of the garden). Spinach was doing well up til this last weekend. I still have a little lettuce in some shady areas, but even it is almost done. I picked my first tomato today (just a cherry, but that first one is always the most satisfying. I pulled all my onions about 2 weeks ago and have been adding them to everything I eat. My cabbage is finally ready (it also did early battle with the rabbits). I will be starting sour krout this weekend (but it might be too warm for it to still taste good).

I started beans, squash, zucchini, and cucumbers late, so I am a bit behind on all of those.

My peas did great this year with all the spring rain and clouds (harvested about 10 lbs out of a 40 sq ft area over about 5 weeks), but as stated earlier, that is unusual for peas in Bama.

Steve

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Juliet, you'll find out that the 'after frost' date is too late for some of the cool season veggies. You'll need to get some of those things in so that you can be harvesting long before it gets too hot in your location.

tedposey wouldn't be able to convince ME to plant okra, lol! I hate the stuff....always have and always will. ;-)