Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haley45

Gardenias throwing a temper tantrum

haley45
14 years ago

Has anyone else had problems planting gardenias that they bought? I bought 3 'Frostproof' gardenias last fall at HD. I planted 1 last fall in my garden, and the other 2 got left in the big black nursery pots over winter b/c I never got around to them. Right after I planted that 1 in the ground, its leaves immediately starting turning yellow and dropping off. It stayed like this for months but I let it be since I could tell that it wasn't completely dead, but it finally starting putting out new leaves this past month. Well, those 2 I left in the nursery pots flourished and were completely loaded with buds when I decided last weekend to plant them in 2 large glazed ceramic planters that I had empty. Guess what? They too are throwing a "temper tantrum" and their leaves are rapidly turning yellow, and only 1 bud kinda open, which makes me just sick to think about losing all of those flowers.

So can any of you more experienced gardenia "parents" help me stop my gardenias' temper tantrum? Are they just stressed from being transplanted? Is the glazed pot holding too much water?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!