Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tufted Titmouse/Nuthatch Pair?

Posted by shericontrary (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 10:22

My husband and I have noticed a Tufted Titmouse male and a Nuthatch female visiting our feeder together! They are always together. Does anyone know what's going on with these two? I don't want a Peyton Place in my backyard! Just kidding, but it's kinda odd. We're in Birmingham city.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tufted Titmouse/Nuthatch Pair?

New to birding, aren't you?

o

The nuthatch and titmouse come to my feeder together - when no other birds are there.

No, I'm not new to birding. Thanks for asking!

o

Cute picture, terramadre!

Shericontrary, the behavior you describe is fairly common, I believe. I've observed the titmouse pal-ing around with other bird species on a very frequent basis. I've seen chickadee/titmouse 'couples' so often that I know if I see one, the other is not far behind, for example.

o

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 18:21

They can "visit" together, but "coupling" has been defined as the union between one male titmouse and one female titmouse.

You ain't from around here, are ye? LOL!

Nelson ;-D

o

Ha!....you know what I mean!!!! ;-)

o

Sheri may I ask what you are feeding them?

o

Oh, whatever I pick up at the store. Nothing fancy.

o

Have you noticed that most of the titmouses ( titmice?) and chicadees won't stay at the feeder and eat? They fly in, grab a seed, and go away to eat it. Then come right back for 2nds. 3rds etc. Most others will stay at the feeder for several minutes until another bird runs them away.
Not sure I'd recognize a nuthatch.
Never see a mocking bird or brown thrasher at the feeders.
Doves walk around the ground picking up seeds that the others waste.

o

I provide BOSS (black oily sunflower seed) and suet-mixture cakes but there are also plenty of plants that provide food for birds and insects.
The Brown Thrasher will keep on trying until it gets a piece of the suet ;-)

I have only noticed two species of Nuthatches at the feeders:

the
White-breasted Nuthatch

and the Brown-headed Nuthatch

o

Thanks mother earth. I have seen the brown headed nuthatch, just didn't know them. I guess thrashers and mocking birds too would go after suet. My wife uses sunflower, mixed seeds and thistle seeds, but don't put out suet.
Get a lot of goldfinches and purple finches at the thistles.

o

We find that lots of birds love the peanut suet. There aren't any seeds in it (they can get those at the other feeders) and they gobble it up. The catbirds, cardinals, mockingbirds, woodpeckers (red bellied and downy), nuthatches, titmice/mouses, and chickadees come to it a lot. We often see hummers feeding at the flowers in our gardens, but not much at the feeder so far. They usually eat from the feeder more in late summer and early fall when they're fattening up to head across the Gulf. (How do dey do dat???)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here