Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental peach 'Bonfire'

Posted by john_trussville z7b AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 10:38

Anyone around here try one of these? Just saw it yesterday at the Trussville Lowes for $24.95...has beautiful burgandy leaves. I need more color in my tropical garden & thought it might be a possibility.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental peach 'Bonfire'

Lovely plant....are you willing to tangle with assorted pest problems?

o

John dont waste your money.They are just too hard to grow.Like Rhizo said they are too picky.My hubby and I saw them and decided to buy a couple and they made it through the winter outside and they bloomed and actually had peaches.But they did not make it to the fall.We did everything but they passed on anyway.Daughter bought one last year and it also died.We said never again.You may have better luck than we did.Paulette

o

thanks all.....yeh after doing a little more online research and hearing your comments, I've decided against it. For its small size it definitely sounds like more trouble than its worth.

o

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 16:45

I don't think this is what I have but it's some kind of peach that I bought at Lowe's for $19.99 last year. It was label "Patio Peach", whatever that means. I planted it in a hugh pot on my deck. It had hard little peaches and burgandy leaves. The peaches never matured and were eaten by creatures. This spring there was the most gorgeous display of bright pink blooms along every limb for maybe 3 weeks. This made it all worthwhile and everyone was astounded at its beauty. Can't wait to see what these peaches do. I have an idea it's strictly an ornamental plant. I really like the burgandy leaves contrasted against the green of the trees further back in the yard. Hope this info helps.

o

Granted, I'm 400 miles or so north of my boyhood home in Lee Co., now, but the same disease/pest pressures on peaches exist here as they do in Sweet Home Alabama.
I've seen Bonfire - or some other unnamed red/purple-leafed peaches growing here and there - and I'm not certain but what they just grow them from seed, as I see red leafed suckers popping up out of the ground for yards around these trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here