Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia tithymaloides, spurge, japanese poinsettia

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 10:43

I love pink leaves, this plant keeps catching my eye at the local garden/lawnmower store. What does it do? Spreading? Sun, right? Does it flower here? Do hummers visit the flowers?

From where they are at the store, I think it's an in-ground plant, but found sources that say it's only hardy to 9b.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pedilanthus tithymaloides, devil backbone

Ok, have come to learn this is one of the renamed plants, used to be Pedilanthus tithymaloides, and found another common name, devil backbone or devil's backbone. So, by any name, any experience with this really weird looking plant? Also concerned about it giving me a rash, and am unclear from searching if that's only from the sap or if casual contact can cause a rash.

o
RE: Euphorbia tithymaloides, spurge, japanese poinsettia

Good news - casual contact should not bother you, just do not get the sap on mucous membranes or in the eyes, much less try to eat it (yeah, right). Bad news - Anything below freezing and it gets damaged, anything below 28 and it is pretty much dead. Better consider it a houseplant, at least for the winter.

o
RE: Euphorbia tithymaloides, spurge, japanese poinsettia

Thanks for the response. Think I'll have to pass on this, I'm out of room for big house plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here