Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie trying to grow squash

Posted by billingalls Central AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 11:11

I am addicted to gardening. My wife loves squash and zucchini. Can I grow it all summer into fall? I grew red potatoes for the first time this year and am harvesting them now. What a treat! Can I grow squash in my potato patch? In one of my gardening books it says squash and potatoes dont get along. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie trying to grow squash

In south Alabama, my summer squash doesn't do well after the it gets hot (like now). I usually plant it as early in the spring as I can and it always peters out about this time of year. I'd love to know how to have it all summer too. I'll be watching this to see if anyone has the secret.
I don't think squash and potatoes would work planted together.

o

Plant Squash before really hot weather unless you're trying for fall crop then shading might be necessary they need plenty of water once it gets real hot Like NOW. I planted some potatoes in a tire. Lay the tire down prop open the middle fill it about half full of dirt put the potatoes around inside it and cover them, once the plants get up to the top add another tire and more dirt, I have read that you can go up to 4 tires high resulting in about 30-40 lbs of potatoes in a space the size of a tire.

o

I planted some squash really late, like June 15th or so. I just got a really late start in the garden. It is doing well, blooming a lot. But thus far no female blooms. The plant seems to be doing well though, is growing like a weed. I have high hopes of squash until first frost, we will see though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here