Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathcates

Where to buy plants/seeds to plant in July

heathcates
13 years ago

I am looking forward to keeping my garden going through the fall (and hopefully winter) but this is my first attempt at after summer gardening. I am looking at the Alabama planting calendar (thanks to alabamanicole) and I see several things I can plant in July but I have no idea where to get them. I am in Lee County and as far as I can remember none of the big stores (Lowes/Home Depot/WM/etc.) will carry what I am looking for.

If you know where I can find these locally or online please let me know. If I have to I can get some from Birmingham.

-Rutabaga

-Irish Potato (Haven't found this anywhere online or otherwise)

-Cauliflower

-Broccoli

-Celery

Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

Irish potato is what you think of as a "regular" potato -- i.e. not a sweet potato. Certified disease-free stock is best but many people plant what they get from the grocery store and do fine. Sprouting is a little hit or miss with grocery store potatos, though, since they have usually been spray with a sprout-inhibitor chemical. Anyone who has ever had a sack of potatoes grow eyes will vouch that the chemical isn't perfect.

The big box stores tend to throw everything out in the spring regardless of the best time to plant, so any broccoli plants are probably is awful shape by now. But they should all have seed racks with rutabaga, cauliflower and broccoli. Maybe even celery, but celery is tough to grow and so it isn't as popular.

You may also want to visit your local farmer's co-op. They can be a very good resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Co-op Stores

• heathcates
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the Irish potato info.

I went to Lowes yesterday and they have already gotten rid of all their seeds and have no racks for them whatsoever (I asked).

There is a coop about 35 minutes from me it seems. I will call them to see what they have available.

Thanks!

Also, I forgot to say, if anyone plants anything other than what I mentioned in July please let me know.

• madabouteu
    13 years ago

Don't forget online sources for seeds. I particularly recomend Baker Creek Seeds - fantastic selection, reasonable prices, and fast service. They offer heirloom seeds, not modern hybrids. No transplants, though.

• swjonthebay
    13 years ago

I'll second the notion of looking at online sources (and the recommendation of rareseeds.com) Maybe even look ahead to next spring/summer for your seed needs to get the most mileage from the shipping costs?

It's been my experience that the cauliflower and broccoli germinate/grow/are ready to transplant very quickly so I'd think you'd have time to order them at least.

• EllenSeltz
    11 years ago

I recommend Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They may be able to get an order to you quickly. I bought from many diffrerent sources for our spring garden, and the ones from SASE did the best in my garden conditions - I expect because they are saving seed from not only Southern heirlooms, but plants grown in and adapted to Southern conditions. My California seeds from "organic, heirloom" compainies were a complete waste of money.

• ourhighlandhome
    11 years ago

I'd recommend calling it by it's "correct" name: "arsh" potato ;-)

At least that's what my Granny used to call it....

Nelson (feeling impish)