Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imadabbla

OT-What is this AL snake?

imadabbla
18 years ago

This guy was in my carport. Anybody know what kind it is?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (15)

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

Looks like a black rat snake to me. They are non-poisonous and can get pretty long.

• meadow_lark
    18 years ago

Yep - black rat snake. He's Beee-U-Tee-Ful! I had one in my yard last week. I love to sit and watch them...

Meadow Lark/Huntsville

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

They are quite beautiful snakes. Imadabbla, I hope you keep it around as they will eat mice, etc. They will beat their tails in defense and have often been mistaken for rattlesnakes, but usually I've found them to be shy. I heard one in the shrubs a couple of years ago, and he was beating his tail against the pine straw mulch. We saw one around a rock border a few weeks ago. It's the 3rd snake we've seen already this year (all non-venomous), but more than we've seen in a while, even for out in the country.

• bama35640
    18 years ago

What a beauty! Found one in the driveway last week and knew the perfect log to move him to.

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is another pic (forgot to turn on the flash for this one). I couldn't get the whole snake in the photo. I'm guessing he was between 3.5 and 4 feet long.

Yes he's still around here somewhere. I had to go past him to leave, so I tried to shoosh him away with a broom but he was too petrified from the dog barking and carrying on so to move.

I am afraid of ALL snakes so I came in the house and locked the door to wait for him to leave. My 14 y/o daughter thought that was hilarious. She was rolling on the floor laughing as she told me "Snakes can't open doors, Mom."

We live in the country on a river so we get to see all kinds of critters but I'm not fond of having them up-close and personal.

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

lucky you!
    seems like all i ever find around my place are copperheads.
    the cat just got over a bite from one a week ago.
    must go cut grass this afternoon!

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

"Snakes can't open doors, Mom."

That is too funny!! lol

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

Atta girl! Just sweep him out back and he'll find a home.
    Jeff, I think we should all be more aware this year. In talking with my neighbors, we all have seen more than usual this year. One of my neighbors still hasn't told her husband about the one she found in their garage. She said he wouldn't go in there again if he knew, LOL! They just moved here from LA (that's NOT Lower Alabama either) last year and are still discovering what country life is like. I like watching them...from a distance...but they do scare the boots off me if I get surprised.

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We get these turtles all the time. They come up from the river to lay their eggs in my yard. The snakes make quick meals of the eggs. :(

This turtle was about a foot long.

This link has a pic of some eggs that were devoured by a snake. There is a broken shell at the bottom right at the tip of my shoe and from there look left and up toward the top of the pic. You'll see the shells scattered around.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v687/jcollier/?action=view&current=P1010159.jpg

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Try this one.

• Triskale
    18 years ago

I know what you mean imadabbla, I am afraid of snakes as well. I live near water so we have LOTS of cotton mouths as well as rattlesnakes. So I grew up being afraid of the suckers.
    By the way everyone I am new to GW and boy am I glad to see a forum for Alabama gardeners. I live in Tuscaloosa and I hope to get to know you all soon.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

I'm a firm believer that education and information helps dispell fear. Right? Right! It's worked for me! The more you know, the less you'll be afraid. Here's a good link about your Black Rat Snake. And you might want to get a good reptile field guide.

P.S. The first time I saw one of these snakes it was halfway up a pine tree. As BIG as they darn things are, they are great tree climbers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Rat Snake

• Erik_z7b_AL
    18 years ago

That is actually a black king snake,not a black rat snake.Black ratsnakes don't live in most of alabama,except for extreme northeast alabama,over the rest of the state,they are replaced by the grey ratsnake.The black kingsnake will eat any other snakes they can find,including copperheads and small rattlesnakes.They won't completely rid your area of venomous snakes,but they are good to have around.By the way,the venomous snakes in alabama are,copperheads,cottonmouths,timber rattlesnakes,pygmy rattlesnakes,eastern diamondback rattlesnakes,and coral snakes.Copperheads and cottonmouths are the most common,followed by timber rattlesnakes.The eastern diamondback,pygmy rattler,and coral snake are rarely seen in most areas of the state.

• bama35640
    18 years ago

Erik is correct the yellow markings give it away. You can see a picture on the link below.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Snakes of North Alabama

• dragonsfire226
    15 years ago

I've heard from several people that snakes are way more numerous this year than normal. Anyone know why that is?

Sponsored