Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

I hate this weather

alabamanicole
13 years ago

It's too humid for the tomatoes to set fruit and too hot for the peppers to set fruit. The herbs just want to bolt. The zucchini has played out in the heat.

I have a lovely, healthy and green garden, 9000 cucumbers and nothing else. Arg.

Comments (12)

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

Add my name to the list. As soon as the heat & humidity arrive I'm absolutely miserable until fall. What time I DO spend outside is unpleasant - yardwork and watering 'til midnight. Arg x 2!

Nelson :-(

• bubbalove
    13 years ago

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Too much dew to mow in the morning, chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. That put me out there in mid-day.
    My garden is not doing well just because of the heat.

• drippy
    13 years ago

I'm finding it challenging for growing. Personally, I don't mind the heat & humidity, but my poor plants are croaking right and left - I'm a wintersower, so inclined to plant small plants in the ground. Uh uh, not working here.

• sundog7
    13 years ago

I can stand the heat and humidity okay, the result of working outside all day, every day, for nearly 35 years.

But we need rain here in Pinson. Today it rained everywhere on Earth except here. Nary a drop. The last rain I saw was a week ago and that was only about 1/3 inch.

Maybe tomorrow . . . .

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    13 years ago

At least the temps are dropping a little next week; if the humidity drops, too, it'll make for a pleasant sunny week. If we get some nights under 70F, it'll help the garden plants a lot.

It didn't rain here, either, sundog. I could use a good soaking rain, or even some pop-up thunderstorms. The garden isn't showing any signs of water stress yet -- clay has its advantages -- but I know it must be getting dry out there.

• madabouteu
    13 years ago

My pansies finally died; I have other flowers ready to plant in their place, but a) it's too hot for me to get out and do it and b) I'm afraid the transplants will croak from the heat!

I have lots of tomatoes coming along but very few are "setting".

• sundog7
    13 years ago

It would be a lot easier on me (and my garden) if I were there every day. Lately I've been on the road five days a week. I'm dreading a drought this summer and I won't be around to water anything.

It was as hot as the sun today in Corinth, MS. Can't wait to get back to Bama!

• catbird
    13 years ago

I, too, can tolerate the heat and humidity better than subzero temps. I follow the shade around as much as possible and avoid the middle of the day. There are areas of our yard that don't get much shade, so I try to do those early in the morning or in the evening. Have even been known to work by the light of the front porch or even a miner's style headlamp after dark. ;-) Thank goodness we at least got a couple of good rains recently.

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now THIS week has some weather I can get happy about. I really could use a good rain, though. I saw a few signs of heat stress yesterday so I gave everything a drink, but standing out in the garden with a hose at 4pm and 95F is not my idea of fun.

I'm not seeing much tomato fruit set yet, but the peppers are starting to set some.

• outsideplaying_gw
    13 years ago

I hate this early hot, hot weather too, and so does my garden. The patio plants in pots are looking stressed, but the veggie plants actually look pretty good, however the bugs are beginning to bug me. I had one big pepper turning red and a bug got to it. Still have some green ones I'm keeping an eye on. Still getting a few yellow squash and the tomatoes are really coming in. Somebody please shoot me if I plant that many toms next year. And I too have a thousand cukes. Why, why? At least the past few mornings are tolerable.

• outsideplaying_gw
    13 years ago

I hate this early hot, hot weather too, and so does my garden. The patio plants in pots are looking stressed, but the veggie plants actually look pretty good, however the bugs are beginning to bug me. I had one big pepper turning red and a bug got to it. Still have some green ones I'm keeping an eye on. Still getting a few yellow squash and the tomatoes are really coming in. Somebody please shoot me if I plant that many toms next year. And I too have a thousand cukes. Why, why? At least the past few mornings are tolerable.

• alabamanicole
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have any ripe tomatoes yet, but this morning I noticed a lot finally setting. I do have a few cherokee purple that set about 3 weeks ago, but that poor plant has been a magnet for aphids and now that I have them tackled the stink bugs have moved in. So I may or may not see edible toms in another 3 weeks or so.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus