Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Plant Tree Ideas for Oxford, AL

Posted by redymed 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 12:09

Hi,
Iam a newbie looking for ideas and guidance for landscaping a lagoon pool. I was considering mediteeranean fan palms, windmill palms, lily turf/liriope for edging, cannas, bananas, aeoniums, echeverria, sansevieras, sempervivum, kangaroo palms, sago palms and crotons, aloe and yucca elepnatipes. I have no idea which are suitable for our area, and if any have to be planted in containers and brought in for the winter. Will the palm roots create problems around the pool, I want to set them about 20 feet away from my polymer pool.

Above all, I want low maintenance perennials, which wont attract bees and bugs, and stuff which wont fall into the pool.

Any and all other ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in anticipation,

redymed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Plant Tree Ideas for Oxford, AL

If you haven't been there already, you should visit the courtyard gardens outside the Anniston Museum of Natural History for some ideas. You'll see many palms & other plantings with a tropical appearance that will look great around your pool....and that are cold hardy for your area. If you do visit & have any questions don't hesitate to contact Calhoun Co Extension Agent Hayes Jackson. He loves palms & subtropicals & will be glad to assist you.

Also, in case you haven't noticed the area Home Depots have a great selection of cold hardy palms this summer. Just look for the ice-blue pots.

Don't be concerned about palm roots. They're not invasive, but still I wouldn't plant closer than four or five feet from your pool just to allow for proper root development.

Hope you'll post some pics when you're finished. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Anniston Museum of Natural History;

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here